Friday, April 11, 2008

Twelve-year-olds have no taste but much voting power

It’s Friday, so you’ll excuse me if I take a moment to discuss something frivolous but very dear to my heart. I am not ashamed to say I’ve been watching American Idol—it’s been a long winter and one reality show obsession per year will not kill me, right?

Well, last night the dreamy and incredibly talented 29-year-old Australian, Michael Johns, was voted off the show. I think he was just too manly for the demographic, which is tween girls (who instead are all shrieky over baby-faced and demurring David Archuleta—blech). Michael simply brought more hotness and maturity than they could handle. Not me, though! I can handle it!

Moment of silence, please…while you watch this enchanting performance of “It’s All Wrong, But It’s All Right.” Sigh.



Update 11:47 a.m.: If you really want some hyperbole, check out the L.A. Times, where they call Ryan Seacrest the Angel of Death and quote A.E. Housman. Wow.

9 comments:

Vladkin said...

Ugh. I know. And why is that dreadlocked white kid still on the show? He's so disgustingly blah. Oh, but he's edgy b/c he has dreads. Yeah...

Carrie M said...

Dreadlock boy reminds me of all the Jack Johnson-John Mayer wannabes strumming chords on their guitar to impress babes in college dorm rooms.

How he's still on the show, I've no idea.

Brian Hurley said...

As soon as each episode is over Paula Abdul goes into her dressing room and starts pulling out her hair and texting her votes for the deadlocked guy over and over.

Anonymous said...

Deadlocked----Dreadlocked? Not quite the same thing, Brian. I told the TV I wasn't going to watch Idol again this year. Until next week when I have to root for David Cook. I will buy Michael's CD when it comes out.

Brian Hurley said...

Will someone please insert this letter where it belongs in my previous post?: r

Carrie M said...

You totally just got edited by my mom, Brian. Awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

After a really crappy day you both gave me a needed laugh. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm not anonymous, I just hit the wrong button.

Shawna said...

This is partly why I stopped watching Idol: because low-talent kids who appeal to the 'tween set get farther than people who have actual talent (perfect example: Sanjaya, who will live in Idol infamy and made a 'tween in the audience actually cry with excitement).

But the saving grace here is that some of the people who don't win end up getting the last laugh. Witness: Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson, Katherine McPhee. The actual title of "American Idol" doesn't have the door-opening power it used to.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness