Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Carolyn is busy this morning finding ways to sell out. Any ideas?

13 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Vote for Clinton? Shop at Wal-Mart? Drive a Humvee? Listen to a Vampire Weekend CD?

Matt said...

Harsh.

Carrie M said...

I was thinking more along the lines of ditching silly literary ideals and finding a job that pays enough for a mouse to live on.

But thanks.

Laura said...

Well, I got MAs in Publishing and English, but now am a "Financial Writer." It makes bank, seriously. Lots of nice perks too, like they pay for my gym membership, our team's Hood to Coast cabin and food, nice parties at fancy restaurants, and company retreats in places like Palm Springs and Las Vegas (although I have yet to attend one).
I guess I'm a sell-out, but I don't feel entirely like one, because I figure that this job provides me with the time and money to pursue things I'm interested in (such as writing, traveling, artsy-fartsy stuff) during my free time. And fortunately, I end up with quite a bit of free time.
So there you have it.

Anonymous said...

become a buyer for a fashion company. preferably something like zang toi that involves lots of fur and protests. you'll make millions.
aimes

Carrie M said...

That does sound nice, Laura. Exactly what does a financial writer do? And how did you find such a job?

PassingPerception said...

I have been considering changing my life also. I have dedicated almost eleven years to my business and just when things were getting good the government changed the rules and crippled us. I cannot afford to pay employees, buy a house, a car, a vacation, my next camera, or often my basic bills. Not what I was hoping for after giving myself completely from 24 to 34.

I talked to one of the girls who cuts hair at the salon next door this morning and have been in a bad mood since. She makes MUCH MORE money than I do. The girls over there are buying houses and paying off their late model cars and don't use credit cards.

I guess I should have skipped the thinking, entrepreneurship, and decade of hard work and gone to beauty school for six weeks instead.

I would have much less stress and a lot more money.

Laura said...

I edit everyone's reports, memos, and presentations, and respond to requests for proposals from potential clients. I also plan the annual holiday party, which is my favorite task. (Heh.) They're sort of trying to transition me into actual financial stuff though, so now I also write monthly and quarterly performance reports on our clients' investments.
I found the job due to luck, basically. I was working there part-time as an administrative assistant, and just as I was about to finish graduate school, I overheard one of my co-workers saying that the next time the owner [of the company] wanted to hire someone, he wanted to hire a liberal arts person. So I talked to my co-worker, and then I talked to the owner, and they hired me. It's a really small company, obviously. Only 15 people total.

If you really do want to sell out, I bet you could get a job at an investment management company with no problem. Plus, there's tons in New York.

But don't you have upward mobility at the publishing company? Like gradually getting promoted into something--I don't know--something with lots of excitement and benefits? I mean, you work for a big, exciting publishing company; you've got your foot in the door, to use a tired cliche'. That seems like something that could lead to something great, without selling out.

Brian Hurley said...

Steve, you have almost inspired me to stop thinking and go directly to beauty school.

Shawna said...

Oh, I know! My salon charges what, by New York standards, are actually fairly low fees, but in comparison to the rest of the country, are completely outrageous. I told my stylist back home in TN what they charged for a simple cut and she nearly fainted. And they get tips on top of that! And let's not mention the fact that they keep more regular hours than I do...

Carrie M said...

Yes, but Shawna consider the overhead on a NY salon vs. one in Tennessee. I saw a story today about long-established, low-budget restaurants in neighborhoods that are becoming trendier and how much the landlords are jacking up the rent. For instance, from $900 a month to $25,000 a month!

I'm just displeased by the fact that the job I went to grad school to get cannot ever possibly pay for my having gone to grad school.

Shawna said...

Sadly, all too true.

Anonymous said...

Don't sell stylists short, stylists must "think" too... They have to figure out what highlight colors to use to match your hair and skin tone! This is highly scientific stuff. (I hate that e-discussions never capure the true tone of someone's comment!)
Sunny

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness