Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Poll post-mortem

Thanks to all who voted for red rover being the outdoor children’s game they most wish they could still play as adults. I remember this game being nearly as painful as dodgeball, so I don’t know what you’re thinking, but there it is. I’m more of sardines girl, myself. And thanks also to Matt who e-mailed me complaining I hadn’t mentioned “flag war” which we determined is actually called “capture the flag,” and which to my mind is similar to steal the bacon. Except the bacon was usually a chalkboard eraser, which schools probably don’t even use anymore.

There’s no real reason we can’t play these games at our next sports-in-the-park Sunday. Perhaps they would be safer than ultimate Frisbee turned out to be, although knowing us and our athletic prowess we’d probably still find a way to get hurt.


(Picture taken from some day camp and reprinted totally without parents’ permission.)

12 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

I voted for sardines, too. But I thought it was a game where you just eat sardines.

Anonymous said...

News Flash! The eraser has been retired from Steal the Bacon. Now they use a rubber chicken. Why? Don't know.

Brian Hurley said...

Oh man. If they're playing Steal the Bacon with a rubber chicken, then what are they playing Dress Up the Rubber Chicken Like a Baby with?

Carrie M said...

Seriously? That is completely awesome. Now children will think their bacon comes from poultry. Poor little confused minds.

Matt said...

After a bit of sleep, I realized that "flag war" came from "flashlight war," which was an especially cutthroat version of capture the flag played at night when I was in scouts.

Carrie M said...

That sounds like oodles of scout-y fun, Matt! I think my brothers played that, too. Brian?

Brian Hurley said...

I've heard of that game, and I have tried to re-name it "Poland, 1939."

Vladkin said...

What IS sardines, anyway?

Anonymous said...

I really love it when the conversation here is so deep and thought provoking.

Carrie M said...

Sardines is reverse hide-and-seek. One person hides and everyone splits up and looks for him or her. As soon as someone finds the hidden person they quietly cram in and hide there, too. This goes on until all the people are hiding in one place and there's only one searcher, who is then the loser and likely gets jumped out at by the others.

It's fabulous!

Vladkin said...

Holy crap. Why did I never play that game?!?!

Eric said...

'cause Sardines is(are?) painful...

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness