Thursday, April 3, 2008

"The road goes ever on and on"

I’m currently midway through reading the first book of a certain trilogy that involves dwarves, elves, wizards, and, yes, hobbits. The literary pretensions of myself and others of my set make me feel slightly embarrassed about this, but sometimes you need to read for comfort instead of for enlightenment or cachet.

This is actually my second time reading these fantastic novels, and I’ve heard other grown-up people say they go back to Tolkien every few years to experience that world again. So I wonder: what books do you—or would you—reread? Do you gain any new insights when you go back to a work? Are there only certain types of books that invite a second (and third…) read-through or that benefit from it?

Okay, it’s off to lunch for me to dive back into the Eastfarthing…

5 comments:

Laura said...

Did you ever read the Anne of Green Gables series? Just curious.

Carrie M said...

Oh absolutely. That's a perfect example of a series of books I read a million times and loved better with each reading.

Eric said...

I attempt to read Lolita every April and The Great Gatsby every October, but only once have I succeeded in reading them the same year. But this year is different...

Laura said...

You make the fact that this year is different sound so ominous and enigmatic.

Eric said...

Do I? Good. Then my use of an ellipsis was successful...for now.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness