Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lifestyle story gone mad

Wouldn’t you hate to be the guy assigned this article about how newfangled toothbrushes don’t fit into traditional holders? Brushes to Set the Teeth on Edge. Or maybe he pitched it himself.

Conversation at news meeting:

“Hey, so I’ve been noticing a highly disturbing trend in housewares. It’s really been affecting my quality of life, and I’m sure the lives of many Americans—my toothbrush DOES NOT FIT IN MY HOLDER.”

Silence. Pat on the back by editor. “Ralph, I feel a Pulitzer coming your way.”

Fine, New York Times, make mention of this calamity in industrial design. But do you really need to run 1,592 words on it? Thank god you made room for rambling quotes like these:

“Now I have all manner of toothbrushes lying on top of, next to, perched on ... everything but in the holder itself. I’m so annoyed. Everything else has a place.” She wasn’t finished complaining: “Or it’s stuck in it. The very first half an inch is holding it into the holder. It’s pathetic. I should just buy a cup. A nice-looking cup. Why are we trying to be fancy?”

I didn’t think I had time in my life to worry about the size of the holes in my toothbrush holder, but now I have no choice!

6 comments:

Vladkin said...

I am frustrated with the size of my toothbrush in relation to the holder, though! I have to lay it flat where the cup should be. Then I risk knocking it off onto the floor I keep neglecting to clean.

Carrie M said...

How do you live?!

:)

Anonymous said...

I thought it was just me having the problem. I have resorted to keeping it in a cup, but now and then you have to scrub the cup or it gets very gross.

Anonymous said...

one of my holes is too big and the other one is too small.

wait, that sounds...

never mind.

Matt said...

See how bad design wreaks havoc on our lives!

Anonymous said...

This is an especially irritating design problem with children!
Sun--

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness