The dress is dead, say the style mavens. They’ve given a deadline of this September for us all to be out of dresses and into “the pant.” Three summers of dresses, they say, is enough.Long Live the Dress (for Now)
Two things. One, I was incredibly pleased to discover on moving to New York two summers ago that women here wear dresses for work and play throughout the warm months. I started buying dresses for the first time since prom, and I now delight in throwing them on and feeling comfortable and cute. Nothing could be more perfect for our hot, humid summers than a breezy dress.
Two, if the fashionistas are making this declaration now, the reality of it won’t trickle down to us regular folk for at least another season. So no need to start stocking up on pleated trousers yet. More importantly, most of us can’t afford to replenish our closets on the whims of style. Today I’m wearing a dress I bought for a beach wedding six years ago. Take that, fashion police!I think it’s too bad that in much of the country the trend is not toward women gallivanting about in dresses. I say we rise up and with a jaunty flick of our skirts declare that the dress is never dead.
11 comments:
I would like to participate in this uprising but I will need some guidance as to how exactly I might do that.
I love dresses! But not in winter. All summer, though, I wear skirts and dresses, but that could be because I don't have Keira Knightly-thin legs, so shorts look tacky.
As for the guys, believe it or not, many wear skirts here, but usually in the form of kilts. I'm not joking. Maybe "many" is an exaggeration, but okay, a few do. Maybe Brian Hurley should become a New York trend-setter by breaking out a kilt.
As a lifelong pants hater, I will not subject myself to chafing and conform.
additionally, the trendsetters obviously don't ride the NYC subway all summer.
pants/shorts=fabric touching my legs and backside while I wait in a sweltering stinkhole under Union Square=SWAMP-ASS!
dresses/skirts=space for air to circulate around my haunches=dry bum=SURVIVAL!!
Wow. Men have it bad in the summer. Real bad. Or it could be that I am just unusually sweaty.
Men don't have it bad if they don't live in a horrible humid place.
Thanks, Steven, that's very helpful.
I suggested to Brian he take up the wearing of Bermuda shorts with a sportcoat during the summer. Very islands.
Have you seen these legs? I would stop traffic, and not in a good way.
AMEN!
aimes
Um, besides, I don't think kilts would go over well with our windy New York streets...
Really, that could just make it all the more interesting.
A "beach wedding" is just called a "wedding" if you are in Santa Barbara.
That's what I just wrote, but not so eloquently...
Post a Comment