Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stuffer bloggers like


I generally hate Time magazine. Because I’m a wannabe intellectual elitist, yes I know. But they somehow managed to print an interesting point of view on the whole “Stuff _____ People Like” phenomenon, which was hotly debated on this very blog. (Thanks, Eric!) So check it out: Liking What White People Like.

Good things about this piece:

- It made me go, “Omigod, I do ‘keep up with all the snarky, zeitgeisty corners of the Internet’!”
- It uses the term, “bougie,” which many East Coasters look askance at me for saying, as well as the word “siddidy,” which I’ve wondered how to spell since my friend Deborah the high-school teacher introduced it to me.

I refuse to get caught in this meta-trap of irony and feel guilty about liking SWPL, but in the manner of my zeitgeisty set, I am already kind of over it. If Time is writing about it, it can no longer be cool.


Stuff White People Like
Stuff Asian People Like
Stuff Educated Black People Like
Gawker chimes in

6 comments:

Matt said...

Please define "siddidy."

Eric said...

Thanks for the nod, Peppermint Creek. You're right, Time covered it - it's "time" is over...

:)

If you guys are up Sunday night, Jonathan Coulton will be calling in to my radio show at 8pm, my time. I posted about it at www.UCLAradio.com ... I'd love for y'all to tune in. I don't know if you are fans, but you should be...

www.jonathancoulton.com

:)

Carrie M said...

I'm going to charge you for ad space, Octoon.

Matt, you'll have to ask Deborah or Skolnick next time you see them for a more entertaining answer. But I basically understand it to mean uppity, like putting on airs.

Andy said...

It is great that there is a website devoted to telling me the things I'm supposed to like! I get really confused sometimes. Like how I'm supposed to like Sanrio, but I got lost and ended up liking Ariel. But I will try harder.

Vladkin said...

Yeah, Andy. What's up with the high-fashion Mcdonalds ads there? I'm kind of inspired to dress up and get a Big Mac and just sit outside the place and get my vogue on.

lectrice said...

Holy crap. I didn't even know how to spell siddidy. Granted, easily 97% of the people who use it* on a daily basis probably don't know how to spell it, either. (And would likely also consider accurate spelling of said word a perfect example of "siddidy" behavior.)

Matt--Siddidy = putting on airs, acting superior to others, largely in an attempt to prove/feign superior socio-economic status. At least, that's what I'm told. syn.: "bougie" "brand-new"

*All statistics in this comment post have been gleefully and unapologetically made up by me.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness