You’re being deluged with environmental awareness droplets this week in the media, so I don’t want to bog you down further. (Although, really, you could reduce your carbon footprint. I mean, come on. Go to the farmers' market. Ride a bike.)
So I will just share with you this cool tree from the New York Times Science section.

The oldest tree. Sometime around 7542 B.C., a spruce tree started growing on Fulu Mountain in Sweden. It is still growing. Spruce trees can produce exact clones of each other, and while the currently visible part of the tree is not 9,550 years old, scientists found pieces of wood beneath it that are that old with exactly the same genetic makeup as the above-ground part of the tree. Photo by Leif Kullman.
5 comments:
I can't even fathom how long ago that was.
Way to go, Sweden!
Trees, shmeeze.
Gesundheit.
I totally missed that it was earth day somehow. No wonder I flipped passes Regis and that annoying bitch planting trees on stage today.
I grow things every day anyway. I have high hopes for the giant sequoias I have raised from seedlings for years. They could make it 1200 years or so.
I would ride my bike to town but I am not an Olympic athlete.
I do however live close enough to walk to work. That doesn't use up anything. That beats even you subway riders.
Post a Comment