Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Your favorite costume?


Holy crap, people used to look really scary on Halloween!

Check this out: "Halloween in the Time of Cholera" - Vintage costume photos on Flickr

Now let's take a break from political bickering and indulge ourselves in some good ol' fashioned reminiscin'.

I would love to hear in the comments what some of your favorite Halloween costumes were from when you were a kid (or an adult, whatevs). Mine were all homemade. I mean, mom-made. And often hand-me-down. Which was fine.

Being the last sibling, I often ended up with a recycled clown costume that was my brother’s four years before. But hey, if I actually sewed something I’d want all my kids to wear it, too! I still treasure an outfit that was made just for me—I was a gypsy at age 4, with long skirt, matching bandanna, and jingly bracelets. Freaking adorable, I tell you.

I wish you all could share incriminatingly cute photos of Halloweens past! Kids today are so spoiled that all bajillion photos of them are digital and easily uploaded. You’ll just have to take my word for it that when I went as a fisherman in third grade it was hilarious. Because I had a mustache. Attached with masking tape. That kept falling off. Hilarious, I say!

Now you go.

10 comments:

PassingPerception said...

We do have photos of you in at least some of those Halloween costumes. Some digging should be done. I want to scan a bunch of stuff in next time I am in California.

I already had a camera even back when it still had the disposable square flashcube on top.

I vote for my Sy the Photo Guy costume from last year. Check it out for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.passingperception.com/wp-content/aaphotos2007//halloween/NIK_8142.jpg

I came here to take a quick break from editing my photos from my friends' Halloween party last Saturday. I did not dress up this year. I may next year though.

PassingPerception said...

I finally took the time to look at those vintage Halloween photos. I was disturbed. I spent the whole time with my brow furrowed thinking, wow, what the?

Sunny said...

I was an adorable gypsy at 3, I believe. The photos are in a box upstairs. My favorite recent costume was when Josh and I went to a Halloween Party a few yaers ag., He was Heff and I was a Playboy Bunny. Someone was there as Bill and Monica, complete with stain. It was hilarious! Taylor says his favorite was when he was a Pirate last year at 4 years old. My favorite was when he was Mickey Mouse and Tacey was Winnie the Pooh. Those pics are digital but upstairs on the desktop. Besides I don't think you can upload pics to comments can you?

Sunny said...

I wish I knew how to sew and could make my kids costumes. I would appreciate them more.

Sunny said...

Tacey said her favorite was when she was a Princess Ballerina. Shocking!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, you were adorable in trhe gypsy costume. Did you know it was still here? The shirt was from Steven's old pirate costume. And you won a prize with the fisherman costume. My favorite of my own costumes was in first grade. I was Tinkerbell and you have to remember that was when Tinkerbell was brand new.

Ashley said...

I was Rainbow Brite when I was five. I can never decide which makes my mom cooler: the fact that she made my costume by hand, or the fact that she let me wear it to preschool whenever I wanted, Halloween or not.

Hmm, I might steal the princess ballerina idea.

Carrie M said...

I like the "princess ballerina." I was once a fairy princess and it's like, what can't you be just a fairy or just a princess? No. Both.

Tinkerbell sounds adorable, Mama. That, I'd like to see pictures of!

Ashley, please go as Rainbow Brite this year. I dare you.

My favorite costumes since I've been an "adult" have been Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Daisy Duke.

Vladkin said...

All I can say is that people back then knew how to do Halloween RIGHT. That's some scary shit.

Sunny said...

I think we have about a dozen princess tiaras if anyone wants to borrow them! I love the Buffy idea

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness