Milk & Honey, Cocktail Mecca, Goes from Secret to Private
This represents the side of New York I hate the most—the exclusivity, pretension, and basically high-falutin’ nonsense. It’s just a bar; get over yourselves. Since the end of Prohibition, bars no longer have to be secret, much less private. The only reason for a bar to act this way is if it wants to discriminate against the rabble, the less stylish, the less moneyed. I hate the idea that being “in the know” makes you better than regular people.
I am not interested in any of the “secret” bars in New York. I will get a delicious dog at Crif Dogs but I will not visit the hidden bar that requires you to enter through a phone booth. We are not living in a spy novel, folks.
And check out these rules at Milk & Honey!
I’m all for gentlemen removing hats indoors (in fact this is a giant pet peeve of mine) but “no talking about fighting”? Can I discuss the consequences of unprovoked warfare? What about the intricacies of fencing?I once went with some coworkers to Little Branch in the West Village, another of this proprietor’s stupidly secretive lounges, and had the privilege of paying $15 for fruity martinis and being glared out by the server and other patrons when we got a case of the giggles.
Honestly.
6 comments:
I didn't realize this was a trend. Like everyone else, I like a good gimmick. I still haven't been to PDT (the Crif Dogs place), but when I heard about it, it sounded cool, not because it was secret but b/c it pretended to be, and I like the idea of the phone booth. Silly but amusing. Not so much anymore though.
I was going to say "At least the city parks are open to everyone," but New York has actually found a way to privatize at least one of those, too. (Gramercy Park.)
Funny! But the expensive drinks are not.
Oh, fine. Guess it'll just be a Spicy Redneck for me, then (hot dog wrapped in bacon with chili, cole slaw, and jalapenos).
Maybe I'll get a phone booth for my apartment, and if you sit in it long enough...I'll probably go to bed and forget about you. Haha. SUCKER!
PDT is actually great, partly because you enter through a phone booth, partly because it's in Crif Dogs, and largely because it's got awesome and delicious cocktails.
I still think it's silly.
Post a Comment