

The Boston Globe started a new blog over the summer, The Big Picture, and it is amazing! Some of the best photography I’ve seen outside of National Geographic. Plus, they run the photos huge and all on one screen gathered by theme, so you don’t have to click though a slideshow.
A couple of my favorite galleries:
Lighting up the Night
Days of Autumn
A couple of my favorite galleries:
Lighting up the Night
Days of Autumn
Not just the world’s best photography, but fascinating visual commentary on culture, astronomy, zoology, and war. (Click on any of these photos to go to their galleries, also.)



5 comments:
I have a very long comment. You got my attention with the photography. Thanks for sharing.
The Afghanistan photos are extremely interesting, although the photographer used a ridiculously high ISO in a couple of the photos that don't appear to need it.
I like the one with the spiral cord and the guy sitting in the back of the helicopter looking out at the mountains.
There is a ton of tension in the one with the British paratroopers about to go through the hole in the wall.
The close-ups of Enceladus are incredible.
In the "Scenes from Rio de Janeiro" gallery these left me speechless. I have never seen anything like it, especially with the story behind them. Wow.
"Giant photographs of women cover the walls of homes in Providencia slum in Rio de Janeiro, Friday, Aug. 15, 2008. A French photographer who identifies himself as JR is exhibiting portraits of women whose loved ones were killed by police as part of his project entitled "Women are Heroes." (AP Photo/Ricardo Moraes) #"
The "Lighting up the night" photos are great too.
The cathedral looks crazy with all the squiggles projected all over it.
The Ground Zero photo amuses me because it reminds me of all the times I see people trying to take photos of something with a compact digital like that when it will never work for sh**, especially handheld. Like the million times I have seen people using flash somewhere like an aquarium or zoo at the Plexiglas.
The "Hundreds of thousands of Muslims" at the mosque makes me nervous. Don't worry, I am afraid of all giant masses of religious people equally. I would not be more impressed if it were at the Vatican.
The "Mexican students with bandaged eyes take part in a "night walk"" is new to me. Simulated border crossings as an extreme sport? That is pretty hilarious.
The cop silhouette in front of the lion is one of those chance happenings that come along once in a while.
I guess I spoke too soon about the Christians. Check out the pilgrims "where three shepherd children claimed the Virgin Mary appeared to them".
"Images of books on shelves are seen projected on the walls of the Tower of David" That looks pretty tripped out.
Those all remind me of how much I enjoy night photography. We need more festivals of lights here.
In the "Days of Autumn" section I like the man in front of the corn.
#12 says "This photo provided by Grandfather Mountain shows the peaks of Grandfather Mountain awash with the colors of fall leaves in Linville, N.C."
Correction please.
#13 I did not know China was the worlds largest cotton producer.
#17 Carolyn, why didn't you get any underwater cranberry photos?
The lovely white bok choy with the dark hands is a very pleasing photo.
So many photos.
"World Animal Day"
The Green Sea Turtles photos is gorgeous.
Yikes, the Atlantic Wolffish is going to need some great pr to make its way off the endangered species list.
Narwhals still look like someone Photoshopped the horns on. Wild.
The "Common Kingfisher with a fish in his beak" sure looks a lot like a hummingbird doesn't it?
Wow, that was lot of great photography to look at.
Now I want to leave work right away and go take some pictures as soon as I recover from visual overload.
Thanks again, Carolyn.
Steven's passion for photography is awe-inspiring. Me, much more simplistic. Thanks for sharing the pretty pictures Carrie! I especially like the cool blue frog. What a cool mascot that woulda been! Of course, then we wouldn't have been the "Bull"frogs.
I agree. The blue frog is better.
Thanks for all the comments, Steven! Glad you enjoyed it so much. Isn't it inspiring to see how awesome photography can be? I will have to take your comments and go back and look closely at all those photos.
All I need now is for someone to send me around the world to exotic places and I am in business. Maybe I would skip Afghanistan though, at least until I am much older and have less life to lose.
Post a Comment