Thursday, October 2, 2008

So, next time Katie Couric asks...

I’m going to help Sarah Palin out. I did some poking around and found some court cases that she might disagree with:

New York v. Sanger, 1918: Margaret Sanger wins her suit in New York to allow doctors to advise their married patients about birth control for health purposes.

Griswold v. Connecticut, 1965: The Supreme Court rules that it is unconstitutional to outlaw contraceptives of any sort, citing the understood right of privacy.

Epperson v. Arkansas, 1968: The Supreme Court invalidates an Arkansas statute that prohibited the teaching of evolution.

Eisenstadt v. Baird, 1972: The Supreme Court rules that the right to privacy encompasses an unmarried person's right to use contraceptives.

Hill v. Colorado, 2000: The Supreme Court issues a decision upholding a Colorado measure that protected women seeking abortion care from harassment.

McCreary County v. ACLU, 2005: The court rules that a Ten Commandments display at a courthouse in Kentucky is unconstitutional.

Here are some court cases she might agree with:

Hoyt v. Florida, 1961: The U.S. Supreme Court upholds rules adopted by the state of Florida that made it far less likely for women than men to be called for jury service on the grounds that a “woman is still regarded as the center of home and family life.”

Webster v. Reproductive Health Services, 1989: The Supreme Court affirms the right of states to deny public funding for abortions and to prohibit public hospitals from performing abortions.

Irrelevant but also interesting nuggets I found in my research on court cases and women’s rights:

Craig v. Boren, 1976: The U.S. Supreme Court declares unconstitutional a state law permitting 18 to 20-year-old females to drink beer while denying the rights to men of the same age.

1984: The state of Mississippi belatedly ratifies the 19th Amendment, granting women the vote.

This woman scares me, people. She really scares me.

(Sorry, Mama!)

6 comments:

Shawna said...

Yes, she probably would quite object to those rulings about evolution and birth control. I'm sure she's eagerly following the news about the Bush Administration's attempt to equate some forms of contraception with abortion:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/30/ AR2008073003238_pf.html

PassingPerception said...

I am not her biggest fan either, but you should also do a post about the equally scary and undesirable, Joe Biden.

He has been saying all sorts of idiotic and ridiculous things in the last few weeks. There is no way I would vote for that guy.

I just received my "Vote Libertarian" and "Libertarian - Pro-Choice on Everything" yard signs in the mail and put them out by the street in front of my busines.

Carrie M said...

I'm sure Biden will say all kinds of moronic and offensive things tonight that will get coverage, don't worry. I think this may be the weirdest VP debate in history. What a match-up!

Sweet signs.

PassingPerception said...

I like your pumpkin photo. I hear there is a pumpkin shortage on the east coast this year because of too much rain.

Carrie M said...

Really? Oh no! What will we do? Guess we'll have to carve cucumbers into jack-o'lanterns.

lectrice said...

Or turnips. The original jack o'lanterns were carved from turnips. Somehow I don't think the charm level will be as high....

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness