I am still busy at work—what are they, paying me to edit or something?—so meantime check this out.
If you're not already an Obama supporter, maybe don't check it out. The cuteness may nauseate you.
By the way, this is one of those crazy instances where a couple people (Emerson students, woot!) create a website that strikes just the right chord. Within two weeks of its existence, it has been linked everywhere!
Including here, now. What? I'm a follower. Deal.

16 comments:
I am not impressed. He is just an actor with good looks, slick style, and very few ideas I agree with. Shmoozy baby kissing is not my top priority in a President.
As Clay Davis would say, "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiit"
Carrie warned Obama-haters not to check out the site...
Obama is not an actor, he is an ex-law professor turned politician. The CA gov was an actor. That Reagan guy was an actor. There are lots of actors in politics. Obama is not one of them. But I can see how that might be confusing.
Obama is good looking? I'll take your word for it.
Obama's style isn't "slick." Please see his speech on race. That's not "slickness" that's "intelligence."
Obama has few ideas you agree with? That might be true...but if you dislike Obama so much, I doubt you've taken the time to read and listen to his ideas.
Or I might be wrong.
Or might you?
(Sorry Carrie, I can't stand name-calling...and y'all know I've been behind Obama since '07)
It takes intelligence to recognize intelligence. Educated people tend to support Obama. Open-minded people tend to support Obama. All of the JDs, MDs, MAs, and PhDs who I know (and I know quite a few) support him.
Being multicultural, living in a gray area between different ethnicities gives me a broader perspective on things than if I was just an ordinary white girl. It's a very different experience looking like I belong to one group, but identifying with two. Obama is the first politician I've ever been able to relate to in that way. I believe this will give him an extraordinary advantage on so many levels. Simultaneously fitting in nowhere and everywhere makes for flexibility and compassion, two characteristics that will prove invaluable in foreign relations, among other areas.
I think Laura is right about intelligence for the most part, but not in Eric's case.
Eric likes Obama not because it is the intelligent thing to do, but because Eric makes 20K a year and always votes for the candidate who has the least amount of houses.
You see, behind his degrees, Eric is a simple man (see his use of "y'all") and simple men like Eric vote not with their minds, but with their checkbooks - their raggedy, worthless checkbooks.
Seriously.
Laura, it sounds like you enjoy being urban and multicultural, and it’s nice that you’re proud of your friends with higher ed degrees. But hearing you identify as an Obama voter because you think you’re more intelligent and open-minded than “ordinary” people gives me the shivers. Go ahead and vote for my candidate, but don’t tell him why you’re doing it. I think he would be disappointed.
Okay, the intelligence thing sounded kind of pedantic, but it was a directed jab at a particular person.
But really, what's wrong with being able to have multiple perspectives on things? I think most people would see that as a bonus. Identifying with both the dominant group and minorities can only help, not hurt.
Wait a minute. I am not going to apologize for the intelligence comment.
Why are all of you so afraid of being labeled smart? Because it sounds vaguely elitist? What a load of shit. Why did you all go to grad school? I'm betting it's not just because you enjoy paying back student loans. It's because you wanted to learn more. Duh.
Quit the "Average Joe" posturing. Average Joe equal mediocrity. And from what I can tell, most of you are NOT mediocre. You're smart, so be proud of it.
Brian, have you ever had people make terrorist jokes in your presence because they assumed you were European just like them?
What about all that bullshit in the media saying oh, Obama is okay because he's NOT Muslim? WTF? Being Muslim does not make someone a terrorist, and it really pisses me off that people assume the two are equivalent. So no Brian, you don't understand what it's like to be caught between two cultures, so don't even begin to lecture me. Shivers? Give me a fucking break. You were just then being the "superior" educated white guy that you supposedly were trying to condemn.
Okay, my rant is done.
But anyway, Brian's comment in response to my comment illustrated my point perfectly. He just doesn't understand.
I bet you're all going to laugh at me now.
Wow, I was busy leaving a humongous comment about all the beautiful photography my sister pointed out. I didn't see all of this going on. Look what I started.
Eric now sounds like a tame and reasonable Obama supporter. Who knew that was possible?
BTW, I didn't call Obama any names. I just described him.
P.S. Good lawyers ARE good actors, so that is also not an insult, just a statement.
My attorney has been a good actor on my behalf in the past. That is what he gets paid for, smooth communication.
So what insult is left? Good looks? of course not. Slick? mm borderline but still not really. Shmoozy? Ok, maybe I give you that one, Eric, but that is not very severe.
Ah, I do enjoy these blogs. Have a great day everyone.
Brian, you apparently don't know what it's like to be "caught between two cultures." I think someone is making unfounded assumptions about the rest of us here. Perhaps we could show Laura all of your elementary school class photos.
Laura, I think the only problem with your comment was that you made it sound like only higher-educated people could possibly like Obama because we are so much more open-minded than everyone else. And that is exactly the kind of talk that gets us labeled "elitist," which, no, I don't think is a bad word inherently, but is slightly alarming in this context.
How about, people of all walks of life, education level, and socioeconomic status should vote for Barack because he's simply the best candidate? I think that's what you really believe.
Nobody said there was a problem with being intelligent or coming into contact with people outside your demographic. (Which, I imagine, refers to somebody who sold you an apple at a Portland green market?) The problem is that you took a discussion about who should be president and turned it into a platform for crowing about your intelligence, the advance degrees held by your friends, and your knowledge of minority cultures. I didn’t realize a vote for Obama was a vote for Laura’s ego. This is exactly the kind of divisive outlook on America that both candidates (although McCain has gotten his hands dirty here at the end) have tried to rise above.
"How about, people of all walks of life, education level, and socioeconomic status should vote for Barack because he's simply the best candidate? I think that's what you really believe."
Carolyn, that's correct. Or, to put a negative spin on it, a person would have to be stupid to not want to vote for Obama.
By "caught between two cultures" I mean that I am ethnically half and half, but don't look like it, which causes people to make all kinds of assumptions about me.
Brian, you completely misinterpreted my point, and even though I don't know you, I now have the impression that you're a condescending jerk (yes, that's name calling).
I am an ethnic minority. I also happened to grow up poor, although I didn't realize it until I was older. My parents were pretty good at hiding it. You don't know anything about my background. And now you've made me start crying at work.
What else do you want to attack me about?
Laura, I apologize for making you upset, and for letting things go so far.
Okay, let's slow down people. I think "intelligent" people such as ourselves should be able to have an adult conversation about politics without getting personal or emotional.
Let's ALL agree not to make assumptions about other people's backgrounds. And for god's sake stop with the name calling.
Class warfare is bad for everyone.
Okay truce. Brian, you are no longer my arch nemesis.
But I always wanted to be someone's archnemesis.
Post a Comment