
No. 1: Damn you, Olympics for keeping me us so late to watch the most interesting events. I can’t stay up till midnight for the next two weeks—I need my beauty sleep!
No. 2: I’m kind of annoyed by all the world-record breaking going on. Sure, it’s thrilling, but after a while it loses its luster. I feel bad for all the previous Olympic athletes who worked very hard to make new records, only to have them shattered by technological advances and the march of time. That doesn’t seem quite fair.
So I’ve been wondering: why is this happening so often? And in swimming at least, the answer seems to be a combination of athletes being well-paid enough to train full time, a deeper swimming pool, and those crazy NASA-designed suits.
I still don’t like it.
I mean, go U.S.A.!
How are swimmers smashing so many Olympic records?
6 Reasons Today’s Olympic Swimmers are Breaking so many World Records
4 comments:
Whoa. 30 minutes to put on a swimsuit? Even an OLYMPIC suit? That's insane...
That photo looks like a movie poster for X-Men.
I heard the same thing about the deeper wider pool from a 1970s swimming Olympic record holder on the radio. He said your shock wave dissipates more and really does reduce turbulence and drag.
I want to know what they are all looking at up there. Must really be something amazing.
Not surprised that Gary Hall Jr. would have something to say about it. He has a history of "foot-in-mouth disease", as evidenced by his infamous quote that the U.S. would "smash the Aussies like guitars" in the pool, a sentiment the rest of the team did not agree with, but had to eat crow for anyway after the Aussies won several events at the Sydney games. I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.
Besides, Michael Phelps, Dara Torres, and a number of other swimmers participated in a voluntary anti-doping program that tested them just about every day while they were competing.
Post a Comment