Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Olympics of political self-adoration

I would be remiss if I didn’t comment on the Democratic National Convention last night. (It’s what bloggers do.) Some notes:

* Nancy Pelosi was a surprisingly bad speaker. Who keeps electing this woman? I’m looking at you, San Francisco.

* PBS rocks. Yes, my only choices are that or the networks but PBS was almost as good as CSPAN for just showing the speeches without a lot of blabbering. Although they did interview Jimmy Carter and he blabbered a bit. Is he losing it or is it just me?

* It was also weird to see Brian Williams talking to an extremely old-looking Tom Brokaw. Why is everyone suddenly ancient? The river of time flows on….or something.

* I’ve never been a Ted Kennedy fan, but even I was moved that he was able to speak at a time when he has terminal brain cancer and has been undergoing chemotherapy. It’s the end of an era we’re seeing here, which isn’t a bad thing, but it’s sad that it had to be this way.

* Michelle Obama blew me away. Dang, she’s eloquent! (More so than me, obviously.) Seeing her mom overcome with pride was almost too sweet.

* Kids are cute but they can throw a monkey wrench into your carefully choreographed satellite conversation.

* All those Clinton supporters better get onboard the Obama train, and pronto. Seriously.

Onwards and upwards with the most over-the-top, drawn-out, bright, shiny segment of a democratic political process ever.

5 comments:

Matt said...

You do not make fun of the Man from Plains.

Brian Hurley said...

I wish that were a Clint Eastwood reference.

Vladkin said...

Another opportunity for me to say "I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA."

Seriously, that was the most amazing speech ever. And their kids are way cuter than any other politican's kids. Can I babysit? I'd babysit. And I hate kids. But don't tell them that or they won't let me babysit.

Shawna said...

I SO want Michelle for our First Lady!! Here's to strong women!

And you're right--those kids are just too darn cute! Did you hear Sasha call out, "Hi Girardeau family!"?

Matt said...

I wish that were a Clint Eastwood reference.

I've heard Jimmy Carter can kill a man from fifty yards by simply throwing a peach and that he has to have a conceal and carry permit just to walk around with peanut hulls in his pockets.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness