Friday, August 22, 2008

You there!

I have noticed lately that when stuck behind a slow-moving woman on the sidewalk, subway stairs, or escalator, ninety-nine percent of the time I will refer to her in my head as “chickypoo.” As in, “Okay, chickypoo, let’s move it,” or “Some of us have places to be, chickypoo.”

Perhaps I subconsciously feel better about my unnecessary pedestrian rage when I use a cute term instead of an obscene one. I don’t believe I have an equivalent passive-aggressive nickname for male strangers.Very strange.

I’d love to hear if any of you have names with which you habitually address strangers who annoy you. Let’s keep the profanity to a minimum, though.

2 comments:

Vladkin said...

I don't have names for such pedestrians so much as facial expressions.

lectrice said...

I don't do this so much anymore, now that I walk everywhere. But when I was driving an hour each way to work/school, my favorite nickname was "Buster Brown". "Now, whatcha trying to do, Buster Brown? You know you can't change lanes without signalling!"

I agree that it's fairly effective for reducing the rage levels. You get to feel more like a wise adult dealing with a silly toddler.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness