Oh, right, that most basic building block of any democracy: a library open to all. Of course, this particular library, the biggest one in the NYPL system and located in a prominent Midtown location, is free and open as long as you pass airline-like security. Do you really need to peek into my little purse twice? Must I check out and then have my books and receipts inspected again at the door? My god, it’s as bad as Costco. Worse, even! What am I, smuggling state secrets here? I just want to check out some James Fenimore Cooper! Is that so wrong?!Okay, I’m over it. Free books, woot! (Sure, I had $18 in late charges I had to pay in cash before I could check out anything. But I mean, now it’s free.) Yay democracy.
5 comments:
Libraries. Gotta love 'em. I took ten 4 and 5 year olds into the library at our school this morning for the first time. Watching their faces when they saw so many books in one place was wonderful. It was as if I had ushered them into a room full of dinosauers or candy. They were in awe. So at least at first people are wowed by books. I don't know what happens later to make them not like reading.
I don't know either. Although, if the number of people at the library today is any indication...well, there are lots of homeless people who have nowhere else to go. And like books.
P.S. I will always think the Michelson library is magical. :)
The pink Nancy Drews are still there.
What I really really love about libraries is the delivery system. For example, in NYC, one can go on the NY public library website, look up any book or DVD and have it sent to your local branch, who will then email you that your requested item is available. It's like Netflix, you know, before Netflix. And also, free.
What I don't so much love is that Brooklyn's Public Library is for some reason on a different system than the Manhattan library system. That said--yay for Grand Army Plaza and their endless DVD collection.
(Also, I was at the Lincoln Center Library for Performing Arts today. I highly recommend it. More on that over alcohol later this week.)
The Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) is one of the (3) reasons to live in LA.
What?
Oh.
2. The weather
3. The Chinese food
Seriously.
Post a Comment