Friday, August 29, 2008

Veep pick

A two-year governor? Really?

23 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

So she'll be ready on Day... oh... 1459?

Carrie M said...

I'm just saying it's a bit unexpected and hypocritical.

Brian Hurley said...

I wouldn't say hypocritical. Aside from their shared political party, she's the opposite of McCain in every category: state, gender, experience, elected position, etc. I just think it's funny they would make such an obvious bid to expand the appeal of the McCain ticket. If you don't like the categories that McCain fits, well... then we'll find a random person who's exactly the opposite to be his veep!

Eric said...

I think Gore destroyed it on stage - did you see his speech? He's learned how to bring it!

Anonymous said...

A two year senator? Really?

Carrie M said...

But Alaska? I mean, that's barely a state. :)

Carrie M said...

Mostly, I just think it's surprising. Why did the newscasters waste all that time blathering on about Romney, Lieberman, Ridge, etc. just to be blindsided by this choice?

I'm sure she's competent, and it's nice to have at least one governor in the race. It was getting a little Senate-y there. Now let's see what dirt the press dredges up on her. Hope she's tough.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the town of Chewandswallow salutes you. Be nice if it rained gravy here, be nice if it rained anything here.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Brian - she's super conservative values-wise... against abortion and gay marriage, pro guns - she's not that different from mccain. besides the fact that she was runner up to Miss Alaska in 1984, was a commercial fisherman, married an alaskan and was a sports reporter.

i think she's a crock of shit.

aimes

Carrie M said...

I don't think my mother will appreciate that kind of language, Amy. Let's keep it above the belt.

Anonymous said...

No need to referee. I can take it. And, yes Brian, she is way different than McCain. He is basically a right wing democrat. She is a died in the wool Republican. Did you hear she went moose hunting when she was a kid? I like her.

Eric said...

Besides, they stopped storing poo in crocks in 1896.

I should know, I am a historian.

Speaking of history, another two-year senator from Illinois turned out to be a decent President. And by decent, I mean the greatest President in US History. And that George Washington guy had zero years in politics, and I have more pictures of him in my wallet than I do of my girlfriend. :(

I say we give this Obama guy a shot. Unless you make more than 5 million a year, Obama should be your man.

Sorry mama, you probably didn't know what you were getting into when you commented. I've been touting Obama since 2007 when he was a long shot, so digs on him don't go unchallenged on my watch. :)

Brian Hurley said...

I can't wait to write-in Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Matt said...

Two-term senator, but either way, you either believe Obama has the chops for it or he doesn't, but he has a lot of experience that precedes his time in the senate.

Palin's credentials, by contrast, seem remarkably thin, and two weeks ago she didn't know what McCain's stated Iraq policy was. She's also on record saying she was unsure what the duties of the vice president were. So, I, for one, don't like her--not as a potential vice president--not one bit.

Carrie M said...

I respect her. She seems plucky. But I do fundamentally disagree with her on just about everything.

Should be fun debates!

PassingPerception said...

We have literature out at work to let people know about Obama's positions on gun control that are not being talked about much.

I am not a republican or a democrat but I thought McCain made a very smart choice and the media coverage about it is grossly biased to the left. It is really disgusting sometimes to see how liberal and unfair much of the news is now.

By the way, I have to say that it it also obvious to many people that Obama is a "crock of shit". We need better choices. He is quite the slimy and disingenuous fellow. He reminds me of an OJ attorney, well educated and gives a nice speech, but doesn't really stand for anything but winning.

Eric said...

(I warned in my last post that I've backed Obama for a long time...it's like attacking my hometown that just now everyone is hearing about...I gotta weigh in. Sorry!)

Nice name-calling with nothing to back it up, PP!

Compared to which countries is our "media bias" grossly to the left? Most industrialized countries would say our media coverage is grossly to the right. Are you talking about China? Or maybe Saudi Arabia?

"..doesn't stand for anything"

Just go to the Obama website if you want to know exactly where Obama stands on every issue.

"...slimy"

It's slimy to work in community organizing for ten years out of Harvard law? Or not flip-flopping a tenth as much as McCain? (funny how you don't hear "flip-flopping" this time around...)

"We need better choices." Whom would you prefer?

Obama's not perfect, but his overall message is not "I can win and fix everything." He places the responsibility on us, "You have to get involved and help fix this country."

I've seen him speak twice. There's nothing fake about him. He's smart as hell and dedicated to helping people help themselves. He's a little too Christian for my taste (believes Jesus' main message was about helping the poor, the needy, etc) and a little too pro-American, but I'll forgive him for those things and vote for him anyway, because I agree with him on a lot of the issues.

Or just vote for McCain if you like more wars that make us less safe, less tax breaks than Obama would give (I'm assuming you make less than 250K a year) and love our current health care system. Or you just want a guy who knows nothing about the economy - or at least, that's what McCain says.

Why else would you vote for McCain? What does he stand for that's so great? I really do want to know.

(Sorry Carrie!) :)

Andy said...

The only people with presidential job experience are former presidents. Bush/Cheney '08! No, wait... Bartlet/Hoynes '08!

Carrie M said...

I wanna see Eric and Steven fight.

:)

No, seriously, though, I'm glad everyone's contributing to a dialogue. It's not often people have intelligent conversations with people on the other side. (Sure this is a blog, not a "conversation" but whatever.)

Brian Hurley said...

Picard/Riker 2008!

PassingPerception said...

Eric, why do you assume that if someone doesn't like Obama they would vote for McCain? That is quite the narrow assumption.

I would definitely vote for Jesse Ventura if given the chance. I just watched a speech of his live on C-Span2 and it was very inspiring and refreshing. He is already campaigning for the next election.

Obama and McCain both have positions that I am %100 against on very important issues.

The change we should be pushing for is opening the way for non-republican non-democrat candidates to have a chance and be heard. Our two party system the way it is is broken and suffocates new ideas and good candidates who do not fit the out-of-date parties.

Republicans and Democrats are NOT the answer. We need REAL change.

Klaus Varley said...

I totally agree with Steven. Plus, that Eric is a pretentious hipster. I just saw him in a coffee shop, typing on his MacBook and drinking a latte.

Carrie M said...

Palin's husband has been a member of a third party, one that wants Alaska to secede. http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/
la-na-aip3-2008sep03,0,6399468.story

But seriously, Steven, I think the point about neither the Republicans nor the Democrats having that much appeal is a good one. I wish we did have more choice, and I'm searching for an article or opinion piece that will discuss why that hasn't been viable in recent American politics.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness