
Look, NBC, I know you paid like a billion dollars to get the exclusive rights to coverage of the Olympic Games. And I know I haven’t even been paying much attention to the Beijing Olympics because any story so ubiquitous in the media turns me off. But I was busy on Friday night and couldn’t watch the opening ceremony. And you keep saying how you have boatloads of video available online. But when I tried to see some neato footage, you told me I wasn’t allowed because I’m not a cable subscriber.
Well I just don’t think that’s very nice. You allow us poor people to see your coverage on broadcast TV using rabbit-ear antennas, but I can’t log onto the Internet using my neighbor’s wireless signal to see this same coverage if I missed it? I think you’re biased against the 13 million households that don’t pay for cable. And I also am alarmed that you can figure out I’m not a cable subscriber just by me putting in my zipcode and a local cable provider. How do you know who I am? Get out of my computer and let me see some freaking synchronized swimming!
Update: Since writing this, I have tried again and realized if you scroll ALL the way down, there is in fact a checkbox for "broadcast customer." A reminder to myself not to get prematurely irate. (This still doesn't explain how Big Brother could tell I wasn't a cable subscriber.) We'll see if it works when I get home. Unlimited hours of platform diving, here I come!
8 comments:
Screw China.
To NBC - less Costas, more events.
I know! Did you see him interview George W. Bush last night? It was very strange.
I'm betting he wears a toupee. Or dyes it. Or something. Sure doesn't look normal. Maybe it is the humidity in Beijing.
I'm betting it's three things: toupee, dyed, and maybe plugs. Nothing natural going on there, for sure.
Also, Brian was really annoyed by Tim Daggett announcing gymnastics last night, and I'm like, well, he's been doing it since about the time he retired after the '84 Olympics, so he pretty much gets to say what he wants. But maybe sports need to reexamine their entrenched and annoying announcers. :)
It's all about mens synchronized platform diving. I'm sure the world will come to a standstill tonight to see who wins.
I just read on CNN that some of those fireworks were Photoshopped into the TV feed because China's government was concerned that it might not look perfect otherwise.
Dennis, mens synchronized platform diving is probably way more exciting than women's synchronized springboard diving from the lowest level. I watched that.
Brian, I thought the fireworks trickery was BS also. They claim it was a "safety issue". Apparently fireworks at a stadium are too dangerous, but building schools that instantly crumble to pieces on top of children in an earthquake is of no concern.
During the opening ceremonies the other world leaders were well-dressed, attentive, and respectful. When they showed Bush he was slouched and reclined in his chair, and looking at his watch. He makes us look so great.
Post a Comment