Have we forgotten the devastating 1969 oil spill that served as the launching pad for the modern environmental movement?
SB has always had a sharp divide between the North County conservatives and South Coast liberals, and it looks like one side is winning. Brooks Firestone (yes, the father of Andrew from "The Bachelor," and yes, related to the tire Firestones) is a sweet old guy who I've met several times, and I usually trust his judgment. But not on this. There must be another way.
This is me a couple years back on my beloved Ellwood Beach, which I could walk to from my apartment. Living in Santa Barbara you get used to the sight of the oil platforms, but you never like it.
3 comments:
I like how the people in SB making arguments against drilling use drug analogies. "We're addicted, man! We're junkies for oil!"
That brings us back to how UCSB just missed that top party school list. I think for two reasons:
1. Students are smarter; thus less caught doing elicit things
2. It's a UC, so there's a greater percentage of students who really don't party.
Or at least, that's what some people think...
UCSB was already totally slipping down the party school list when I left. I mean, not because I left. But because there were more applicants, so a smaller percentage was getting accepted, so they were indeed smarter, if smarter means preferring the hanging out in the library to relaxing on the beach. Which doesn't sound very smart to me.
How far the mighty have fallen.
Perhaps the South Coast liberals decided it might be nice to be able to afford to drive to work.
Post a Comment