I try not to talk about my job here, for confidentiality (i.e. not getting fired) reasons, and because I get enough of work at work.
But! I wanted to humbly show off the covers for the first three books I worked on after I took over the Westerns here. (There’s about an 11-month lag time between cover conferencing and publication, and these are being published this March, April, and May, respectively.) It’s fun to see an artist and art department flesh out an idea I had from reading the manuscript. I’m particularly proud of how these three came out.
No comments necessary, just thought I’d share. Oh, and I know none of you have a frame of reference for the covers of mass-market westerns, but believe me, a lot of them are very, very bad. Not ours, of course.

But! I wanted to humbly show off the covers for the first three books I worked on after I took over the Westerns here. (There’s about an 11-month lag time between cover conferencing and publication, and these are being published this March, April, and May, respectively.) It’s fun to see an artist and art department flesh out an idea I had from reading the manuscript. I’m particularly proud of how these three came out.
No comments necessary, just thought I’d share. Oh, and I know none of you have a frame of reference for the covers of mass-market westerns, but believe me, a lot of them are very, very bad. Not ours, of course.


10 comments:
I'm the mama so I can comment. I am proud!
I will comment also. The covers actually are quite tasteful, especially the second two. Of course I do have observations as usual. What is with the wolf hanging out with the guy? Is that in the story?
The second two are interesting because the view is from behind the cowboys in both. They are attractive artwork.
Is that guy's name really Cypher who wrote something called The Outcast? That seems unlikely.
Do western writers give themselves stylized names like porn stars do?
I am sure you appreciate the reference.
Now I will mosey on down the trail as the sun slowly sets on another lonely day of work and blogging.
Happy moseyin' Steven.
Thanks pardner.
The wolf's name is Sam, and he's a sidekick to main character in The Outcast. He's, you know, like half-wolf, half-dog. I insisted he be there because he's on every page of the book. And yes, Luke Cypher is a pseudonym. Lots of my guys jazz up their names to sell better.
Thanks for looking!
A lot of people around here have wolf dogs. Some are much more wolf than dog. You should totally have your own western name. I will work on it.
those book covers are really cool. showed them to dave and he wants to read them. you did a great job. can't wait to read the books myself!!!!!!!
Daddy, I can send you and Dave all the Westerns you want!
So I was going to start reading your book the other night, but ended up finishing it at 5 am. Being as I had to be in the ER at 8am, not the best idea, but shows it was a good book.
Wow, that's great! I don't even think that's the best book of mine by far. Must have been my superb editing skills that made it so readable. :) I can always send you more westerns if you want some late-night reading!
Post a Comment