
“The government is digging a 10-foot-deep trench around the capital, Ndjamena, to prevent a repeat of an attack last month, when rebels in pickup trucks rolled in and fought two days of heavy battles. The ditch will all but encircle the city, slicing through neighborhoods and forcing vehicles to pass through fortified gateways.”—Reuters
What’s next? The re-advent of drawbridges? The walling-in of cities? Capitol buildings with turrets and crenellations for archers?
What a terrible state of affairs.
Luckily, New York already has a moat: the Hudson-East-Harlem Moat of Death. This unfortunately has not repelled all attacks in the past. People are sneaky.
Photo of Ndjamena by Catherine on Picasa
8 comments:
Oh. I thought some guy named Chad was talking about his moat. What's up with that? You don't see any people named Madagascar, do you? Or countries named Biff?
Biff?
That made me smile for the first time this morning. :)
There, I changed it. Happy? That's what I get for taking the headline straight from the NY Times.
Way better. The NYTimes should hire you right now.
There's a town in Georgia called Matt.
Did you already know the word "crenellations"? I had to look that up.
How the hell is a ditch supposed to stop trucks? It doesn't look very intimidating in the photo. A couple of chunks of metal or heavy wood thrown across and you are good to go. It looks like all they did was build a giant cattle guard around the town. At least they won't have to worry about stepping in manure. I read that they are also going to cut down all remaining trees around the city. That will be a scenic move.
Here is an interesting video about the conflict.
http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=Xrm3O20IQZE
Here is a name place for you Brian.
http://www.brianheadtown.utah.gov/
"Brian Head Utah" I swear.
Oh, Steven, you just wait till I get home. I have an awesome photo to show you.
Post a Comment