
Some of you may know that after years of (very) sporadic yoga practice, I’ve now been practicing twice a day for the past three months. The integration of this into my life has changed a lot of things that I don’t have the time to go into here. But I wanted to explore a couple ideas.
First, one of the most fantastic things about the physical aspect of yoga is how quickly one can see improvement. I am very proud of how far I’ve come in such short time. I am now able to accomplish poses that seemed quite difficult at first. Examples:
Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana: Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe pose

Tolasana: Scale pose

Virabhadrasana III: Warrior III pose

Ardha Chandrasana: Half moon pose

At the same time, I try to remind myself that yoga is not about achieving perfect form, but about being in your body and accepting what’s happening. These quotes are good reminders:
“Once you have begun to master the postures ... beware of excessive pride or ambition.”-Tara Fraser
“Becoming obsessive about practicing is to be avoided because that can be another form of grasping or attachment.”-Liz LarkAnd this is great to keep in mind:
“My ashtanga practice has stagnated, backpedaled, inched forward, slid back, and blossomed so many times that I have jettisoned the idea of ‘progress’ so dear to my Western conditioning.”-Lois NesbittAnd while I feel great right now about many of the beginning asanas, I am stymied by some of the more complex ones:
Ttibhasana: Firefly pose

Kurmasana: Turtle pose

It’s not hard to get discouraged when seeing poses that look beyond your ability, and to think, “Why would I want to pose like a turtle, anyway?” But then I read this quote, and find it to be a really nice idea:
“While performing asanas, the student’s body assumes numerous forms of life found in creation ... from the lowliest insect to the most perfect sage--and he learns that in all these breathes the same universal spirit.”-B.K.S. IyengarThe important thing is to keep practicing, and my biggest focus right now is just that: to focus. While doing yoga, my mind has a tendency to skip around to upcoming events, past encounters, and what I’ll have for dinner. So, my mantra: Breathe, accept the thought, let it go, come back to the breath. Repeat. Lots. :)
10 comments:
Living life as a pretzel. Hmm.
That Firefly pose is crazy. There is no way you are doing that.
I need to do that stuff. I run, bike, lift weights, and occasionally swim laps, but I am not flexible enough. I need a lot more stretching.
I am still stuck on the first position, Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana. Are you sure it is spelled that way? Geez. It looks like something is wrong with the keyboard.
So, I tried that "Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe" thing. I went in back and put my leg up on a file cabinet to get a head start and then picked my foot up with my hand. No way. The back of my legs are way too tight from my recent mileage and pace running increases. Like I said. I work out hard but need much more stretching.
By the way, I only knew "Namaste" as a tripped out Beastie Boys song. I had no idea what it meant until I just now looked it up.
Namaste is one of my favorite all time Beastie songs.
"A butterfly floats on the breeze of a sun lit day
As I feel this reality gently fade away
Riding on a thought to see where it's from
Gliding through a memory of a time yet to come
Smoke paints the air
Swirling images through my mind
Like a whirlpool spin beginning to unwind
And I stand at the edge cautiously awaiting
As time slips by
Carefully navigating by the stars in the sky
And I sit
And I think to myself
And on the horizon the sun light begins to climb
And it seems like it's been so long since he shined
But I'm sure it was only yesterday
A cold chill of fear cut through me
I felt my heart contract
To my mind I brought the image of light
And I expanded out of it
My fear was just a shadow
And then I voice spoke in my head
And she said, dark is not the opposite of light
It's the absence of light
And I thought to myself
She knows what she's talking about
And for a moment I know
What it was all about."
Boy does that song bring back memories, partially of wealthy east coast UofO students snorting heroin, and buying a lot of herb, but also of beautiful summer afternoons and evenings, new friends, and some insights into people and the world.
I'd noticed at Jane's reading that you were looking reaaaallly great. Twice-daily yoga explains much!
I took Mark's daughter this weekend to a class up on Court Street and she is totally in love. I've done yoga sporadically for the past few years, but this instructor is phenomenal--the whole class was entirely focused on alignment and I felt like I learned more in 90 minutes with her than in all previous classes combined. I've decided to start practicing four days a week and drop in on her Saturday class from time to time to keep getting feedback on my sad form.
Soooo, if you ever want to come relax in a basics class with me, I'd love to spend some weekend time ohming...
Thanks, Deborah! That's rad. An occasional class to get feedback on form sounds like a good idea. Keep me posted!
Steven, the Beastie Boys are the last band in the world I'd expect to have a song titled "Namaste." How very weird. Thanks for sharing! :)
Yoga! One of the best things about LA:
http://poweryoga.com/
Soon to be featured in a piece on The Brothel in our cleverly named, "Best Things About LA" series.
Yoga is so much more than stretching, though. I thought it was just a bunch of hippie-pretzel moves. The yoga I go to is more like boot camp in slow motion with some Indian words thrown in.
"Indian" words, K.V.? Really?
What? You don't speak Indian?
Oh, I'm sorry, I meant, "Native Asian" words.
You should see if your SoCal yoga instructor also speaks Mexican.
Post a Comment