Friday, May 8, 2009

Selected great new fire photos

Just look at that wall of flame.


From Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara.


What if that was your house?


These two photos are both taken from a spot on the UCSB campus right outside the dorm I lived in freshman year. Looking east toward Santa Barbara.




All photos are reader-submitted to the L.A. Times, except the bottom, which is Associated Press.

Also, one more shout-out to the Independent, which, I'll repeat is "only" an alt-weekly, like the Village Voice. Yet it again has the best fire coverage I've ever seen, providing an insanely invaluable community service. They've just published a story compiled by intrepid reporters traveling with fire crews to report which houses are left standing and which are not. For many people, this is the first they'll find out of whether or not they've just lost everything.

4 comments:

Mama said...

I think unless someone has been very close to one of these monsters they can't understand the feelings just seeing these pictures brings up. I know the things that go through your head while you pick and choose and pile your life into a couple of cars. I do not ever want to go through that again.

Carrie M said...

Exactly! And also that apprehension, that dark dread, of following a fire that seems far enough away but could turn and come your direction if the winds change. Meanwhile the sky is constantly hanging with smoke and the light is always orange. I get the heebie jeebies just remembering it. That's why my heart goes out to all these poor people, as well.

Who's husband is down there?

Mama said...

Joan Hollett's husband is a fire captain.

PassingPerception said...

Wow. That fist photo is badass. It is so dramatic it looks like it was Photoshopped. The flames are so huge in comparison to the buildings. Amazing.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness