Thursday, May 7, 2009

Scary SB fire update




It's now burned at least 20 homes and injured 10 firefighters. I was looking at the great coverage by the Pacific Coast Business Times and noticed them quoting owners of business right next to the last place I lived, an apartment on upper State Street.

Turns out that if I still lived there I'd be under an evacuation warning. Click here for a good map of the evacuation and fire areas:


And here's an even better map showing the whole downtown SB area.

Secondly, screw CNN for having a headline up right now that says: California mansions go up in flames. Way for the East Coast pop media to make this sound like a petty problem of the rich.

Here are headlines (with links) tonight about what real people are dealing with from the local Santa Barbara Independent alt weekly:

Jesusita Fire Eyes Goleta

UCSB Offers Counseling for Fire-Related Trauma

Jesusita Fire Turns Tragic Without Warning

Donations Needed for Evacuated Animals

Telemarketing Scam Asks For Firefighter Support Donations

I can't imagine the terror, sadness, tension, and resignation that poor SB-area residents must feel. Or I can, because I've lived in fire-danger areas. And I still have many people I love and respect who live in the path of this fire and the others that will inevitably come this summer. All I can do is send them all my best hopes and thoughts.

Photos by Mark Boster/L.A. Times, Juan Carlo/Ventura County Star, and AP, below. Photos all from today.




0 comments:

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness