Monday night I had occasion to stay at a hotel and so had cable TV for the first time in months. After several lackluster spins through the lineup, I decided that all American television is utter crap, and in depression, I went to sleep.

But! The next morning while getting ready I discovered this wonder: "Sunrise Earth" on Discover HD Theater. It's an amazing hour of real-time footage of a sunrise somewhere, alternating between various cameras, with no sound except what's happening in the scene. (More info here.)

The one I saw yesterday took place on Skellig Michael, an ancient spiritual island outpost in County Kerry, Ireland. In the foreground rose slate-rock huts from which monks would rise to watch the sunrise, and air filled with the sounds of rushing waves and crying seabirds. I cannot tell you how mesmerized, uplifted, and relaxed I was watching this program. I was compelled to put down my ironing at one point and just gaze.
So, apparently only 99.9 percent of American television is crap. Why can't it all be like this?
Will someone who loves me please buy me the DVD? Pretty please? I would watch it constantly. :)
3 comments:
Clearly you've never watched Hannah Montana.
That is why I use a dvr for everything. That way you can have it always filtering out the .01% and saving it for you, commercial free for later. I almost never watch what is actually on at that moment.
Amazing find!
Post a Comment