
There's a local PBS program I love watching on the weekends, Colameco's Food Show, that makes me so happy. Mike Colameco is a fun, unpretentious host who evinces a passion for good food made with simple, high-quality ingredients. (He was somehow more likeable before he cut off his ponytail, but that's okay.) On most episodes, he visits a restaurant in the city and then goes back to his kitchen to make something delicious using what he's learned.
On Sunday's show, he went to Sullivan Street Bakery to talk to the owner about how they make their amazing, artisanal, no-knead bread. I discovered this bakery soon after I moved to New York, and I love it. (I used to frequent its SoHo location, which is now Grandaisy Bakery.) They make rustic Italian breads like pugliese and ciabatta that are perfect crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. They are also known for their insanely delish pizzas. Currently, their products are available at Whole Foods, Murray's Cheese, and Dean & Deluca, Zabar's, or at their store in Hell's Kitchen.Photos of Sullivan Street Bakery bread from Serious Eats.
2 comments:
Have you ever made the New York Times No-Knead bread? It's super easy and really good. All it requires is patience. It never fails to make a huge, lofty, crusty loaf like something you'd get from a fancy bakery. I highly recommend it.
Oh, and it's vegan, too. :)
Post a Comment