Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oh now, come on


Way to stay classy, NY Daily News. I don’t expect much from you, but really, to insult an entire state so carelessly is just lame. What does this headline even mean, "Hil Billy Win"? Poor West Virginia, so proud and so belittled.

12 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

The headline in the San Diego Union-Tribune said that Clinton's win is "All But Meaningless." And you can see at the bottom of the NY Daily News that they're calling it a "so-what" win. I don't argue that it's a hollow victory, but I'm perplexed as to what authority these papers are drawing on to say the race is basically over. It's not, officially. But headlines like this will eventually bring about a de-facto ruling on the nomination...

Which might be what the Democrats want to happen, so they don't appear to have stepped in and made a decision without getting the full consent of the American people. (Bush v. Gore in 2000, anyone?) But still, it's strange how the newspapers are so confident about saying it's over before the game has been called.

Matt said...

Well, statistically she can't win. Obama is very close to winning the nomination through the pledged delegates, which Clinton can't do at this point. Her whole bid right now is based on the unpledged delegates, and Obama has even moved ahead there, and even if she still had a majority of unpledged delegates, it's not at all feasible that she could scrape together a majority in the delegate count (pledged and unpledged). Whether Clinton wants to admit it or not, it's over.

Vladkin said...

Watch your mouth, Tanner.

Matt said...

Them's the facts.

Brian Hurley said...

I'm just saying, I thought headlines were for things that happen, not things that seem to be inevitable.

Carrie M said...

You all with your fancy political talk are missing the point here: It's not cool to make fun of rednecks unnecessarily.

That said, I think the scary thing here is that I see no scenario in which Hillary will step down. She’s made a mantra of the phrase “never give up,” which to me brings up images of her clinging to Obama’s ankles and crying as they try to drag her away when she’s lost the nomination at the convention. Or hijacking the podium at his inauguration speech. Seriously, this woman will not let it go. I’m not saying she should, as yet, but the longer they both stay in, the worse the Democrats’ chances are in the general election.

Anonymous said...

As a person who lives at the end of a gravel road I have taken offence at the anti redneck attitude. We are people, too. Don't we matter? Cut us, don't we bleed? Too much? okay.

Carrie M said...

Hear hear! And you just made me laugh out loud.

By the way, one Matt just gave me a Brooks & Dunn CD, as a joke. Little did he know I'm a fan. Ha! Also, I haven't noticed him sticking up for his West Virginia heritage here, and I'm very disappointed.

Matt said...

Brian, it would be nice if there were some objectivity, but the Daily News is a tabloid. What can you do?

I know I'm being no fun by not addressing anti-WV angle, and I don't like the subtext, which is basically, "WV doesn't matter, so who cares that Hillary won?" On the other hand, I guess I'm just resigned to it. My first thought when I saw the headline this morning was, "Well, that's typical."

Brian Hurley said...

Barack would probably say it's a state full of bitter, poor people.

Matt said...

Well, they are covered in coal dust, which isn't known for its delicious taste.

Anyhow, there's a really good analysis of the race here.

PassingPerception said...

I agree with my sister. The coverage of the primary there is not very fair. OPB Radio here basically said Clinton only won because most people in West Virginia are racist.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness