Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Where’s Officer Krupke when you need him?

I like to think of alternate realities for myself, places I might be right now if I’d made different choices in my life. Here’s one: say I’d gone back home after college. Then maybe I could have gotten involved in the local media scene and so have prevented such a ridiculous lede and headline in a story:

Real Life "Sharks" And "Jets" Square Off In Tuolumne County

Holy Christ, you’ve got to be kidding me. There is an actual news item buried under this insane reference to “West Side Story.” And a brawl between groups of redneck kids up in the hills bears no resemblance to racial strife in a multilayered immigrant context, such as in the play. Honestly.

Here’s a more responsible take on this story, in case you’re curious:

Many hurt in major fight, one hospitalized

It’s nice to see someone following journalistic ethics, even in that Podunk corner of the world.

5 comments:

PassingPerception said...

I didn't know "lede" was a word. I looked it up and learned something.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/
index.pperl?date=20001128

That story reminded me of the not-so-good old days when I was in high school there and the same thing happened on the Parrots Ferry Bridge. A bunch of people from Bret Harte and Sonora went to party down there at the same time and things went wrong.

It ended up with people getting chains, tire irons, and fire extinguishers out of their vehicles to beat each other with.

Ah, good times.

PassingPerception said...

Hooray! Just today I was thinking you needed a less depressing header image. I will change it at my site.

Brian Hurley said...

At least the kids in the fight didn't wear makeup to make them look ethnic, like in the movie.

Eric said...

Um, I'm not sure what's funnier, that West Side Story reference, or:

It followed a birthday party at the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Posse Grounds

Wtf? Maybe the problem isn't the youth, but the parties thrown by the Sheriff's department.

PassingPerception said...

Also, since when did white kids in the hills start naming their groups like gangs?

The first story makes it sound like exciting and harmless fun, leaving out details included in the other story such as " Wickum suffered a skull fracture that threatened the area of the brain which produces speech,..."

Ya, not so fun. Reminds me of why I don't live in Sonora, the town of my birth. ****hole

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness