Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm easily misled before 10 a.m.


Shame on you, CNN for making me exclaim “Holy crizzap!” as soon as I sat down at my computer this morning, before I’d even had any caffeine. This headline, “New York to recognize gay marriages,” implied to me that the state had legalized same-sex marriage, which is surprising because last I checked legislation to that effect proposed by Eliot Spitzer had stalled out in the State Senate.

Of course what this actually refers to is a directive from Gov. David Paterson to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states and countries (Massachusetts, Canada, Spain, California—I hope). Which is also really good! But still, a more accurate headline wouldn’t have made me choke on my Egg McMuffin unnecessarily.

Yet, three cheers for our new governor! Now about that legislation…

Here’s a better-headlined and written story from the NYTimes.

Oh, and in other totally awesome news today, county clerks have been given the go-ahead to begin issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples on June 17. It’s important to start getting LBGT couples married because the more actual weddings of real people that take place, the harder it will be for California voters to bring themselves to support a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage this fall.

1 comments:

Eric said...

CNN headlines are getting bad. I saw one that said something like "Obama on Negative Ads" which was about Clinton's negative ad campaign.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness