
Here’s another Friday treat: developers and environmental groups have agreed at long last on a plan to conserve a gigantic chunk of ranchland above the Grapevine in California.
NY Times: Major Deal Preserves Ranch Land in California
LA Times: Tejon Ranch pact would allow 26,000 homes on the range
I recommend you check out the story if you get a chance because it’s entirely too complicated for me to sum up here. And that’s what’s so interesting about it—the give and take on both sides that led to a deal everyone can be satisfied with. (Also notice that the New York paper focuses on the acres preserved, while L.A. points up the number of homes to be built. Glass half full?)
I first read about this issue in a sprawling story in a New York Times glossy supplement over a year ago. (Playing Sim City for Real.) I was entranced by the place then, and looking at the photos on the L.A. Times site just now I got a little misty-eyed. Oh, how I love you, scrubby, ugly, oak-dotted, drought-prone hills of California! You are home.


NY Times: Major Deal Preserves Ranch Land in California
LA Times: Tejon Ranch pact would allow 26,000 homes on the range
I recommend you check out the story if you get a chance because it’s entirely too complicated for me to sum up here. And that’s what’s so interesting about it—the give and take on both sides that led to a deal everyone can be satisfied with. (Also notice that the New York paper focuses on the acres preserved, while L.A. points up the number of homes to be built. Glass half full?)
I first read about this issue in a sprawling story in a New York Times glossy supplement over a year ago. (Playing Sim City for Real.) I was entranced by the place then, and looking at the photos on the L.A. Times site just now I got a little misty-eyed. Oh, how I love you, scrubby, ugly, oak-dotted, drought-prone hills of California! You are home.


Photo 1: Vincent Laforet for the New York Times
Photo 2: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times
Photo 3: Tejon Ranch, via Reuters
Photo 4: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times
1 comments:
Right now, on a rainy afternoon in Manhattan, those photos might as well be science fiction to me.
Post a Comment