Neat. I hadn’t seen anything about this story and then was walking past a building on Prince Street a few blocks away during lunch hour and it was swarming with police. There was even real “Crime Scene” tape!
SoHo on alert after alleged sexual assault
This is obviously a horrendous thing to happen to anyone. But I take from it these lessons: do not offer cigarettes to strangers at 3:45 in the morning, and do everything possible to make sure no one follows you into your building.
That latter is something I’ve always been skittish about, particularly when I’ve lived alone. I developed a habit of shutting the door to my apartment buildings behind me as quickly as possible so no ne’er-do-wells can sneak in. Of course, this once got me bitched out in Washington Heights for slamming the door on two thuggish-looking youths who then yelled that they lived in the building and that I was a racist ----- etc. But better safe than sorry, I feel.
SoHo on alert after alleged sexual assaultThis is obviously a horrendous thing to happen to anyone. But I take from it these lessons: do not offer cigarettes to strangers at 3:45 in the morning, and do everything possible to make sure no one follows you into your building.
That latter is something I’ve always been skittish about, particularly when I’ve lived alone. I developed a habit of shutting the door to my apartment buildings behind me as quickly as possible so no ne’er-do-wells can sneak in. Of course, this once got me bitched out in Washington Heights for slamming the door on two thuggish-looking youths who then yelled that they lived in the building and that I was a racist ----- etc. But better safe than sorry, I feel.
2 comments:
I did the same thing yesterday to two guys at my apartment! I saw them coming towards my door and locked the door behind me. Of course, one of them had a key (he lives with the girls upstairs), but how was I supposed to know? I've seen him maybe once in passing and wouldn't necessarily recognize him again. I'm not going to let two random strangers into my apartment building!!
Post a Comment