Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wonderful things I learned and saw this weekend



* Watch out for ants. They bite. Especially when you’re standing on grass in strappy heels.

* I saw Lucy! Not that Lucy, the other one—the 3.2 million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis. Way to go, Houston Museum of Natural Science! That almost makes up for your obnoxious energy exhibit sponsored by big oil companies.

* Try to avoid sitting by a water feature when at a wedding reception. Not only does it play tricks on your bladder, it makes it galldarn difficult to hear the toasts and speeches.

* Do, however, lick the ice sculpture to prove your tongue doesn’t stick.

* I totally suck at swimming. I mean, I know the strokes, but I discovered at the hotel pool that—man!—I haven’t used those muscles in a while. Ouch.

* Do wear waterproof mascara at all times during a wedding weekend.

* There are places it can be even hotter and more humid than New York City. I know, I didn’t believe it either.

* You never know when you’ll need your line-dancing skills.

* Staying at hotels is always fun.

* I managed to spy the Mississippi River out the plane window both coming and going. Man, is it wide! And very brown. We were far to the south of where the flooding is happening, but I’m sure it’s on its way downstream. Thank god for the LiveMap on the TV screens on JetBlue—you can always corroborate whatever land feature you spot.

* Speaking of which, while grounded in Providence I got to watch cable and came across an HGTV show about house hunting that featured a girl I knew in high school. What are the odds? I am working very hard at swallowing my resentment of people my age who are able to buy houses while I’m stuck in a tiny (but cute) apartment. The girl on TV wouldn’t settle for anything less than 1,700 square feet, while I’m pretty sure we are crammed into about 500. Brian assures me we would have no interest in living in a bland, cookie-cutter house in northwest Las Vegas. And he’s right, I’d kill myself. But look at all those kitchen cabinets! A pool! Three bedrooms! Okay, I’m finished.

_______________________________

In order to shut Eric up, I posted most of the photos on Facebook and in a Picasa album. But up top is one of me with Brian’s family, and here’s the bride and the groom (center) with his brothers and mom (Brian's aunt).

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Just for future reference, I would appreciate a name to go with the "person I knew in high school" references! *Denoting sarcasm.* Anyway, sounds like a fun trip. I warned you it would be hot!

Sunny said...

Oh and btw I really like the dress you are wearing... I know you want to ship it to me so I can borrow it! JK

Eric said...

I like how Brian is in the center as if to say, "thank you for coming to my house-church. you are my guests, but you must leave sometime this weekend."

Yeah, I got all that from the picture. See, I don't hate photos.

Laura said...

You always have the coolest/prettiest photos in your header. Did you take this one too?

Carrie M said...

Yup, it's from my roof.

Matt said...

Well, I, for one, don't like it. You can't even see the Ikea.

Carrie M said...

And let's thank god for that. You know it opened yesterday. Gothamist says there was nearly a panic as people got all crammed onto the escalator and couldn't get off for the crowd at the end.

Nice. Let's start counting down the weeks until we begin seeing cast off, crappy Ikea furniture at the curbs!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness