Monday, June 2, 2008

Insert “Mainely” pun here

I have entirely too many photos to post on the blog, so I made a Snapfish album for anyone who’s interested in seeing zillions of pics of our trip (and the cute doggies). I can't link to it, so let me know if you'd like me to e-mail you the site.

Meanwhile, here are a few shots featuring Brian, his sister, Leslie, and her husband, Jestin, along with Siberian husky puppies Sierra and Kodiak (Koda). And me.

By leaving Boston at the butt-crack of dawn we got to Bar Harbor midday Friday and managed a crazy awesome hike in Acadia National Park in the afternoon.



We climbed Pemetic Mountain, scrambling up a non-trail marked only occasionally by cairns.

…and emerged at 1,250 feet for a startling 360-degree view. (Yes, that’s high for a peak on the East Coast.)
Down the mountain, we stroll along Jordan Pond.


And let the dogs frolic in the water. (Or, well, forced them to—here’s Jestin tossing Sierra in for a swim.)
Saturday, our only full day up there, dawned rainy and chilly. But no matter! We took in the sights of the historic town, which has long been a wealthy summer enclave. Remnants of the glittering past remain in shorefront homes like this one.


With our plans for hiking, fishing, and kayaking in soggy shambles, we rallied by enjoying indoor activities like book shopping and beer and wine tasting. (The blueberry beer and black currant wine were especially delicious. Everything is berry-flavored in Maine! I found out this is because the short growing season doesn’t suit winegrapes. Huh!)



A rainy barbecue, more lobster, and next day we wake to brilliant sun (it is Sunday after all—ha ha). Reluctant to start our long, long drive home, we quickly catch some of the beautiful parts of Acadia we hadn’t yet seen.



The road and trail along the coast is particularly amazing.





Now, home again, home again with great memories and a vow to retain that positive energy. Can't wait to get out there again!

16 comments:

PassingPerception said...

That is awesome and exactly what I would like to be doing. I wish I could get my friends to go hiking with me. It seems like a lot of people my age just want to sit around. I can't stand it. Also my whole weekend was cloudy and cold again. It is supposed to be worse this week with more storms coming in and maybe rain next weekend too. Of course please send me the link to your photos if you haven't already. I want to see them.

Brian Hurley said...

Where are all the photos of Carolyn?

Eric said...

Excellent dogs and binoculars.

I advocate the caption/description to go under the photos from now on. That's just what I'm used to.

Seriously.

Carrie M said...

Steven, sorry your weekend was bad. The link is in your e-mail.

You tell me, Brian. You were there. I was the one with the camera and no one else volunteered.

E: Thanks for the input. I just feel like if you're scrolling down, it's easier to read and then see the photo. Maybe I'll experiment.

PassingPerception said...

My weekend wasn't bad, just cloudy and rainy. I did go to the parade with Dennis and then walked around Saturday Market and the Rose Festival waterfront with him the next day.

I will look at your photo album when I get home.

PassingPerception said...

I always put my captions above the photo too. That way you know what to look for and what you are seeing by the time you get to it.

lectrice said...

Love it... I've been itching for a road trip with pretty scenery for a while, and it looks like you've found the perfect destination! After reading/looking, I feel slightly more rested and refreshed--almost as though I did not spend the bulk of my weekend underground, in meetings, or drunk. (And not once all at the same time, unfortunately!)

Sunny said...

WOW! What a trip. The one picture I saw you in your hair looked reddish... did you experiment? I would love to see the rest of the pics too, when you get a sec.

Sunny said...

On second look, it is only the one photo that your hair looks red. As opposed to the other pic that you are in with the hat on! Am I the only one finding slight humor in that?

Carrie M said...

My hair alas, as ever, is blonde. I think it was just that it was wet and there was weird lighting at the winery. I think I would look insanely stupid as a redhead. (Just me personally--most redheads are gorgeous.)

Brian Hurley said...

I am a red-chin.

Matt said...

Man, that looks like it was an amazing trip. I wish I could have been in Maine instead of the Land of Lacoste.

Sunny said...

The rest of the photos were amazing. Thanks for sharing. And I did notice that it was only that one pic that your hair looked anything other than blond. The rest look as I remember, that lovely blond that I am not so lucky to not have to pay for.

Carrie M said...

Blonde 4 eva.

Unknown said...

Did you know my sister Joanna lives in Maine? Sorry I am a little late responding. Also don't go in April, the whole state closes for the winter season, I found that out the hard way. The only thing open were t-shirt shops and a restaurant called Shelly's California Mexican cuisine. It was pretty bad.

Carrie M said...

Tim Kelly, I didn't know you looked at my blog! You little rascal.

I did know that Jo lived there. I kept wondering while we were visiting where exactly she lived. Your parents should get a summer home there and we can go visit!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness