My favorite surprise appearance by an actor in “American Gangster,” which we watched the other night in our sweltering Brooklyn apartment because an old-school Harlem cops-and-dealers movie seemed appropriate:
* Idris Elba, the glorious and—strangely—British actor who also played an American gangster in “The Wire.”
Brian’s favorite surprise appearances that I would never have recognized:
* Common, a rapper who once feuded with Ice Cube
* RZA, a member of the Wu-Tang Clan
Totally lame surprise appearance:
* Cuba Gooding, Jr. wearing funny hats
Conclusion: Brian possesses a shocking depth of knowledge of hip-hop personages for a white-bred boy, and Stringer Bell is always hot.
P.S. If anyone is inclined to post spoilers here relating to this movie or “The Wire,” I will kill you.
* Idris Elba, the glorious and—strangely—British actor who also played an American gangster in “The Wire.”Brian’s favorite surprise appearances that I would never have recognized:
* Common, a rapper who once feuded with Ice Cube
* RZA, a member of the Wu-Tang Clan
Totally lame surprise appearance:
* Cuba Gooding, Jr. wearing funny hats
Conclusion: Brian possesses a shocking depth of knowledge of hip-hop personages for a white-bred boy, and Stringer Bell is always hot.
P.S. If anyone is inclined to post spoilers here relating to this movie or “The Wire,” I will kill you.
6 comments:
Sheesh. One gangster movie and you're threatening to kill your friends.
Extra surprise points: Common, who was born to a middle class family, went to college, and is beloved by white hipsters and smoove R&B fans everywhere (except for Carolyn, apparently) played a GANGSTER, while RZA, who grew up in the neglected Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn (what up, Jane!) and made a name for himself as the mastermind of one of the most menacing rap acts in history, played a COP.
I will admit that I have a lamentable gap in my musical knowledge when it comes to rap or R&B not played at my high-school dances. And you need a serious education about country music. To each his own.
Idris Elba is still gorgeous, and I think that's the most important thing here.
I don't know... I think "sweltering apartment" qualifies as mentioning the weather. In other news, Common was a GAP model. I would love a GAP campaign that featured Carolyn's lineup of hot men from the Wire. Oh, oh, oh, yummmmy.
Yeah... Common is a pretty swell dresser, yo. But isn't that sort of his thing? Being a surprisingly well-dressed hip hop/R&B artist? Did Mos Def make an appearance? I'd watch it for Mos Def. That man is freaking awesome. Brown Sugar anyone? (The movie! Not what's referred to in the Rolling Stones song of the same name, although... yeah, both meanings work, I guess).
Stringer Bell kills Chuck Norris in Season 2, he's that good.
GZA, also from the Wu-Tang Clan, is from Brownsville as well. As is Mike Tyson.
Post a Comment