Wednesday, June 4, 2008

'Mess'y no more

I declare here and now that no one will ever again use the term “a hot mess.”

If only I had that power. I’m always a latecomer to trendy slang (thank God), and the first time I heard this was when Amy Poehler used it in a skit on “Saturday Night Live.” She was apparently spoofing Christian Siriano of “Project Runway,” a show I’ve never watched because I don’t have cable. (And I hope I’d be watching the History Channel if I did.) He didn’t invent the term, I believe, just popularized it—specifically in the usage “hot tranny mess.” Lovely.

Now, it’s everywhere! It shows up rampantly on blogs and has crept into news headlines. Today it found its way into a description of a roofing issue on the New York real estate website Curbed. This has gone too far. Let’s all announce to our friends and coworkers that we will not stand for this fiercely inane idiom.

7 comments:

Laura said...

That phrase always makes me think of fresh dog crap.

Brian Hurley said...

I guarantee you Robert will be using this phrase well into the next decade.

Vladkin said...

What were you doing on the New York real estate website, Curbed? That's the real question, C. :)

Carrie M said...

Well, you know how I roll, always looking for my next multimillion-dollar investment property. What?

Actually, it's pretty interesting. They have a recurring feature called "That's Rather Hideous" that makes fun of interior decorating in high-end homes.

Klaus Varley said...

"you know how I roll" is next on the phrases that need to go extinct.

Carrie M said...

This from a man who still quotes "Swingers."

Brian Hurley said...

Swingers is dead, anyway.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness