Monday, June 23, 2008

Cry me a river

Aw, it’s so rough being an Ivy League grad! You go to a school that pretty much ensures you a ridiculously high-paying job, and then people criticize you for not considering taking some lame-o job to “heal the world” or something.

Big Paycheck or Service? Students Are Put to Test

Personally, I’m all for the Harvardites and Yalies taking the public service route and leaving the super-swank gigs to us less-fortunate public university kids.

Something tells me that’s not the way it works, though.

6 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Don't hold your breath while the latest crop of Ivy League grads gets around to saving the world for you.

Brian Hurley said...

Great first paragraph, and totally serious.

http://www.theamericanscholar.org/su08/elite-deresiewicz.html

Carrie M said...

Oh, holy Christ! That is so thoroughly offensive!!!

I am speechless myself now.

Matt said...

This skilled worker of the plebeian class seems to be wearing a Red Sox cap. Perhaps I shall engage him in conversation on that game in which men hit the leather-covered rubber balls with lathed sticks and run around the what-do-you-call-thems . . . wickets? Hmm. I will need to fetch the box scores, as I believe they're called. But alas! I have already thrown away my copy of the Globe. I am at a loss. Perhaps he would like discuss Milton's theodicy.

Laura said...

Sorry, story time.
Last winter, I went to happy hour with a friend who went to a particular Ivy-League university in Rhode Island, as well as a bunch of her friends who also went there. I didn't know any of them.

When I've been in a reversed form of that situation, I always do my best to be friendly, and try to include the new-comers in conversation.
What did these snobby bitches do? Each one clung to their nerdy boyfriend's arm, talked amongst themselves about subjects that ONLY pertained to them, and completely ignored me. One even shot me a dirty look and literally turned her back to me.
I guess Brown doesn't teach manners or social skills.
Ugh.

Matt said...

The above should be read in the voice of Prof. Frink, from the Simpsons.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness