I was all set to write about how utterly infuriated I was last night listening to Romney, Guiliani, and Palin. I was ironing at the time and I nearly threw the contraption through the TV on several occasions. They were so mean-spirited! Why is it so hilarious that Obama chose to help an ailing community after college instead of selling out and going to Wall Street or to become a slimy lobbyist in Washington? I think it’s despicable that so many of the speakers last night mocked him for that. Shame.And Palin! …But like I said, I was planning to write about her speech, but then I woke up in the middle of the night, heart racing, having had a nightmare about her. I’ll spare you all the details but suffice it to say that I was her older daughter returning home to find her terrorizing her seemingly perfect family. We got into a huge verbal and physical fight, she sicced her dog on me, and she showed what an evil person she really was beneath that coiffure.
So now I’m all confused and have the real and illusory melded together. Maybe it doesn’t really matter.
10 comments:
From the title of this post I thought you were going to talk about Otis Redding somehow. When are you going to talk about Otis Redding!? I can't stay infuriated about politics forever, you know!
Rule #347 of Blogging: Song titles always make good headings, even if they have really nothing to do with the content of the post. Geez, read the handbook.
Rule #348: This excludes songs by Otis Redding, which have a tendency to confuse the reader.
Now who didn't read the handbook?
I've got your back, Brian.
Oh, here's some facts about Republican "exaggeration."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/ap-attacks-praise-stretch_n_123771.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/ap-attacks-praise-stretch_n_123771.html
Can I enter links?
-Confused in sunny Los Angeles
I am clueless. I didn't know that was a song title. I think pretty much any phrase in the english language has been a song title by now.
Here is a very interesting article about:
"Obama's "community organizer" phase was about political power, not soup kitchens"
"What do community organizers actually do? How do they do it? And how has Obama's experience as a community organizer shaped his run for the presidency?"
Equally interesting are the comments after the article.
http://www.windycitizen.com/2008/07/ask-a-community-organizer-what-is-community-organizing-anyway
Not bad.
But the article is essentially: Obama = Politician.
Yes, he is a politician.
Yet the article fails to tie its historical references of community organizing to Obama's work, leaving its claim without evidence.
So maybe:
Obama = Possibly a politician?
As for the comments: some bordered on racist, but here's an interesting comment from the author:
"[Community organizing] is very pragmatic. It's about getting stuff done, and working with whomever you have to make it happen.[sic]"
If you agree with Obama on the issues, don't you want him to work with whomever you have to to make it happen?
This is a silly conversation. We all know how much experience Obama and McCain both have. Let's talk about issues.
Or scrilla.
I, for one, would like to elect a politician to the White House. Not a fighter pilot. Not a community spokesman. Not a hockey mom. The President of the United States has to know politics. That's the job. It makes me uneasy when candidates run for the White House by telling us they're not politicians. So why should I put you in a political office?
If you're unhappy with your medical care, you don't say, "I need to find someone who's NOT a doctor to step in and fix me."
Well, if you're a Christian Scientist you do. But I agree. I think what bothers me the most during the presidential election years isn't necessarily the politicians themselves. They're playing the game--either well or badly, sometimes a little of both. I expect that from them.
What really annoys me is the bobblehead effect that robs me of the ability to have intelligent conversations with people I know and love, because the majority of them are hardcore toeing party lines. People lose the ability to see the failures and weaknesses of their own candidates and to maintain a respect for the accomplishments and commitment of the "opponent". Politics needs to look less like a Pistons game, dammit! Unless it's going to look more like a Pistons game and start involving actual fist fights and beer throwing. I have a healthy regard for action that backs up the words...
A friend of mine mentioned as we watched the convention last night that "delegates are like Renaissance Fair or anime geeks, but for politics". I totally agree. Half the fun is the creepy factor. But the rest of us? We're better than this!
Eric isn't.
Post a Comment