Monday, September 8, 2008

To lighten up a Monday


I recently watched “On the Town,” a wonderful example of how adults used to appreciate innocent, zany, musical humor completely lacking in sarcastic sophistication. Basically, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and some other guy get off their Navy ship in Manhattan all starry-eyed, and proceed to dance their way around town in bell-bottomed whites with three lovely ladies. (You may recall this little ditty: “New York, New York, a helluva town, the Bronx is up and the Battery’s down…”)

The most hilarious moment on the DVD though, comes when you watch the original trailer. Because it includes this screenshot:


Now, I’m not usually one to snicker at the use of the word “gay” as a double-entendre. But come on! Tell me this doesn’t make you giggle just a little.

5 comments:

Vladkin said...

Gene Kelly is pretty... well, pretty. That's it. Just pretty. You should see An American in Paris, if you haven't.

Brian Hurley said...

Twice as much is a pretty specific amount. I wonder what the unit of measurement is.

Brian Hurley said...

Well, "unit" is a possibility.

Vladkin said...

Tsk, tsk, Brian.

lectrice said...

Gay fact about "On the Town": Sinatra wore butt padding to make himself look hotter in uniform.

Hooray for old NYC musicals! Maybe that's what I need to cheer up my Jonah day. Thanks, Caroline!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness