Tuesday, September 23, 2008

For the love of all things literarily holy

Thanks, Brian, for ruining my day by bringing me the news that Keira Knightley of all (friggin' fraggin') people might play Zelda/Gloria in the film version of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned, a novel so far beyond her understanding and talent (not to mention nationality, stature, and demeanor) that I am left speechless to comprehend this casting choice. Stick-Girl, stop ruining my favorite novels!

Brace Yourself: Keira Knightley to Star in Historical Drama

6 comments:

Andy said...

The Beautiful and Damned isn't Finnegan's Wake. I don't think it's beyond any person's understanding given a reasonable effort to read it.

Maybe I'm tricked by the fact that she's thin, pretty and British, but Keiria Knightley seems to me a good actress, and articulate and intelligent when interviewed.

lectrice said...

Oh for the love of GOD, Carolyn, I am so with you on this one. I can't stand her. She's like a frying pan tied to a broomstick, and I have seen zero evidence that she has anything approaching talent.

Let's figure out who would have been a more/equally atrocious choice. I'm going with the obvious: Renee Zelwegger. Or whatever her last name is.

Carrie M said...

Andy, I didn't mean she couldn't understand it, like comprehend it, just that it involves a world of emotions and experience that she couldn't possibly relate to. Being a prissy, no-talent, pampered British jawbone in fancy clothes.

Brian Hurley said...

If they cast her as Gloria, I wonder who'll be Anthony. Perhaps they'll put a Keanu Reeves mask on the executive producer's dog.

Andy said...

It is true that Keira Knightley is no Amanda Bynes.

Speaking of Keanu Reeves, though he is not a good actor, I am always surprised by how good he is at choosing movies. Instinctually, you'd think that he was mostly in horrible movies, but that's just not the case. (Johnny Mnemonic excepted.)

Vladkin said...

I think Keira Knightly needs to do a Cherlize Theron and uglify herself for a role. Let's see if she's more than a pretty face (I mean, w/her shrinking body, that might not even be possible anymore).

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness