Friday, September 12, 2008

The theatah...

I saw “A Tale of Two Cities” in previews on Broadway last night, and it was a treat, even though I think Charles Dickens would turn over in his grave, just as would Victor Hugo if he saw the elaborate song-and-dance machine his novel became. The two shows have much in common, not surprising since “A Tale” was produced by two former “Les Miserables” actors and features eight “Les Miz” alums in the cast. (Three Thenardiers! A former Javert now ironically playing the Bastille-imprisoned Dr. Manette! A former Eponine as still-outcast Madame Defarge!)

It was a great show, especially in the pre-intermission portion, and allowed me to suspend my mistrust of traditional musicals as entertainment. As with the last Broadway musical I saw, "Company," one man stole the show (Raul Esparza, you were robbed at the Tony’s!). This time around it was James Barbour as the self-damning drunk, Sydney Carton. There’s nothing dreamy about him, but he pulled off a charismatic stagger and wistful negativity that was quite astonishing. And that voice! Fabulous. I’d almost say he will haunt my dreams as the fetching Lucie Manette haunted his, but that would be a tad melodramatic and my life is not that Dickensian (or is at least lacking in musical numbers).

But if I were rich, I’d see it again.

2 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Your life WAS "lacking in musical numbers," but now that I have my gay yellow umbrella I'm going to show you a thing or two!

Carrie M said...

Quite so!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness