I usually don’t want this blog to be too much about me (seriously!), but some of us have certain occasions coming up that are making us reflect on where we are and how we got here. While there’s much I’m not willing to share with you anonymous blog readers, here are a few thoughts on where I was the last time I entered a new decade of my life.
When I turned twenty…
I was sharing a big one-bedroom apartment in Isla Vista and paying only $335. By the time I left Santa Barbara six years later, this same apartment was going for $1,300, indicative of the rental markets of every city I’ve lived in since.
I still remembered the entirety of most of the dances and sideline
chants from my cheerleading days.
I was dating a guy in the Marines who’d just been hurriedly shipped off to the Persian Gulf to keep an eye on things after Bill Clinton bombed Iraq. (In a weird twist, Brian, this was called Operation Desert Fox.)
Only a handful of my high-school classmates were married with kids.
I had just declared an English major, thereby committing myself to a life of poverty.
The only time I’d worn high heels was prom.
Celine Dion was still making me cry every time I heard that song from Titanic.
My beloved Jelly Bean (a green, sparkly Hyundai Accent) was nearly new.

I had yet to try sushi, Indian food, or most ethnic foods, and I still thought I hated almost all vegetables, fish, and shellfish.
My idea of a crazy night was renting movies and eating too much candy with my roommate.
I didn't need glasses.
I had racked up only a year-and-a-half’s worth of student loans and credit card debt.
I had never considered living on the East Coast.
I was a devout Republican.
And I had no idea of the intense pain and joy that awaited me in the next ten years, the hard decisions and mistakes, and the wonderful people I would meet.
Thanks to Amanda Vierra, the above-mentioned 1998 roommate, who provided these charmingly naïve-looking photos of my younger self. Yes, my hair was dayglo blonde; blame the Santa Barbara sun. That’s Amanda in the Valentine’s photo, (taken for free at the UCSB Bookstore—aren’t we cute?), and rollerblading around campus at night with our friend Sabrina.
When I turned twenty…
I was sharing a big one-bedroom apartment in Isla Vista and paying only $335. By the time I left Santa Barbara six years later, this same apartment was going for $1,300, indicative of the rental markets of every city I’ve lived in since.
I still remembered the entirety of most of the dances and sideline
chants from my cheerleading days.I was dating a guy in the Marines who’d just been hurriedly shipped off to the Persian Gulf to keep an eye on things after Bill Clinton bombed Iraq. (In a weird twist, Brian, this was called Operation Desert Fox.)
Only a handful of my high-school classmates were married with kids.
I had just declared an English major, thereby committing myself to a life of poverty.
The only time I’d worn high heels was prom.
Celine Dion was still making me cry every time I heard that song from Titanic.
My beloved Jelly Bean (a green, sparkly Hyundai Accent) was nearly new.

I had yet to try sushi, Indian food, or most ethnic foods, and I still thought I hated almost all vegetables, fish, and shellfish.
My idea of a crazy night was renting movies and eating too much candy with my roommate.
I didn't need glasses.
I had racked up only a year-and-a-half’s worth of student loans and credit card debt.
I had never considered living on the East Coast.
I was a devout Republican.
And I had no idea of the intense pain and joy that awaited me in the next ten years, the hard decisions and mistakes, and the wonderful people I would meet.
Thanks to Amanda Vierra, the above-mentioned 1998 roommate, who provided these charmingly naïve-looking photos of my younger self. Yes, my hair was dayglo blonde; blame the Santa Barbara sun. That’s Amanda in the Valentine’s photo, (taken for free at the UCSB Bookstore—aren’t we cute?), and rollerblading around campus at night with our friend Sabrina.
10 comments:
Happy birthday, Carolyn.
Happy Happy Birthday!!! When I was 20...well, I wore much more lipstick (I was still getting used to the idea of wearing it). I basically looked like a drag queen.
Happy Birthday, Carolyn!!
Interesting stuff from your life a decade ago! You remember much more of your 20th year than I do. I don't remember much more than (also) declaring my dedication to poverty (excuse me, that should read "English major") and working at the student newspaper. Oh, and I took a summer trip to England--that rocked!
Happy Birthday to you, my old roommate! Hope it's a great one!!! (and seriously...why didn't I own a hair straightener instead of the super-frizz hair being worn in public!?)
AHhhhhhhhhh! SO awesome. Love the rollerblading pic. Such a simple time college was!!!
Why were these photos hidden from me for all these years?
Even though I don't know you, I still hope you have a great birthday!
Funny. You could also add that those were the days before digital cameras and blogs made remembering too easy...
Have we really changed all that much?? The answer: yes.
I knew we were grown up when I called you one time and you said you had just got back from a John Kerry rally...
Oh, Robert, you have no idea of the array of silly photos taken during my first years in college. Like Eric says, lucky for me, they are locked away into photo albums and not available for Web dissemination.
Lucky for you, too, Eric. I would LOVE to post photos from Camp Royale or the UCLA Dormal. But alas...
How intereting, and can I ever relate. I'm not ready to enter this new decade, but I guess time waits for no one. Marching on... -Sun--
Post a Comment