Today is gray and gloomy, but pick up your chin because I have irrefutable proof that spring is coming, even for us New Yorkers who haven’t seen anything green in months.I wandered through what I call the “secret garden” during lunch yesterday and what I saw gave me hope. No, I won’t tell you where it is—then it won’t be secret, silly. But it is near Bret Harte’s childhood home. (Go Bullfrogs!)

There was still snow on the ground, but peeking up through it were bulbs that in my professional estimation will be tulips or daffodils or irises. Hooray!



There were also several bushes that were budded. Maybe my mom can tell me what these are. I think one may be a rhododendron?



This bizarre tree has already exploded into cool yellow pom-poms of blossoms.


And look! The very first crocus I’ve seen this year.
A real, bona fide spring flower, everyone. Please try to contain yourselves. We still have to get through at least this cold, crappy week. But March is on the horizon! Then April! Then, dare we say it? Summer!Update: 4:16 p.m.: I accidentally found out what the crazy yellow tree is: witch-hazel! Apparently it always blooms in the winter, so I don't know if that counts as a harbinger of spring, but I'll take it. And hey, what's up with the no comments? Youz guys don't like spring, or what?
11 comments:
I'm now obsessed with trying to figure out where this place is. I've just wasted a full hour on Google Maps.
I was just outside my business doing the exact same thing, taking pictures of plants and new growth.
Is it perhaps at 487 Hudson St.? If I am right I should win a prize since I live thousands of miles away.
Hooray, Steven! Very exciting, isn't it? I'd love to see your photos. Also, feel free to give me any tips on taking close-ups of things. It's hard to get them in focus. (You can e-mail me, if you have any ideas.)
Ah, you're such a cheater! There are no secrets with the Internet, I guess.
was I right about the address?
That is a yes.
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v04n27a08.html
WHY NO WORD WRAP?
http://www.coinbooks.org/
esylum_v04n27a08.html
Daffodils and Iris, I don't think you found tulips there. Rodedendrum(sp) yes and I think camellias. Beautiful yellow tree. Must have one. We have had 2 days of sun and everything is about to explode into spring. I love it!
I think the moral here is that quotes around text can be a very useful tool when using Google.
Yes Matt that is true.
Post a Comment