Wednesday, February 27, 2008

At least there’s bubbly


Note: One thing about this job: it’s the only one I’ve had where you periodically get to drink champagne at work. We have these parties whenever a Berkley-Jove author hits #1 on the New York Times bestseller list, and today’s was for Alex Berenson’s The Faithful Spy.

So there’s that at least…and summer Fridays.

7 comments:

PassingPerception said...

What about summer Fridays? Do you go home early or something?

Carrie M said...

NYC pretty much shuts down for the summer, because there are so many rich people who go to their summer homes for three months. Then there's a whole other set that takes long weekends to go to their Hamptoms or upstate homes.

So those of us in book publishing get either every other Friday off or, in my case, 1/2 days on Friday from Memorial to Labor Day. But then you stay later each night, Mon.-Thurs. It's weird. But cool, when you get to start relaxing at 12:30 pm on Fridays!

God, this all sounds so far off, when I haven't been able to leave the house without a hat, heavy coat, scarf and gloves since October!

Shawna said...

Yeah, leaving early for lunch on Friday with friends and not having to come back to work afterward is awesome!

Our parent company keeps making noise about stopping the Summer Fridays, but I think there'd be a mass revolt if they did. :)

Matt said...

There's a fair amount of beer here--and a couple stashes of whiskey--but not too much champagne (except for the NBA party). I guess there are beer publishers and champagne publishers. We're a beer publisher.

Vladkin said...

That's the only thing (besides my friends, of course!) I miss about S&S--the beer. Damn, that was awesome. "What? It's only 4 o'clock on a Tuesday? Psh. Gimme another one!"

Shawna said...

Beer? Who had beer at S&S? I've only ever seen wine and champagne here.

Not that there's anything wrong with those. Champagne can make a long editorial meeting especially...ahem...entertaining. :)

Vladkin said...

Oh, there was beer in them there coolers. I had me one or two on several occasions. Feckin' awesome.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness