Monday, February 25, 2008

In Defense of Public Television

PBS has responded to last week’s New York Times “article” by Charles McGrath, who pretty much thinks he can spout his opinion on any old thing he likes. (Dude, you’re a journalist, not a blogger.) McGrath, apropos of nothing, pontificated that PBS is unnecessary and irrelevant, and nowhere near as cool as NPR. That last part might be true, but as the PBS ombudsman points out, NPR also has riches flowing in from the Kroc estate (the McDonald’s people), and not quite the kind of stiff competition as PBS has from cable channels.

I agree with PBS that McGrath’s piece should have been more clearly labeled as news analysis or a column, since it had a clear slant and had no quotes from anyone. More importantly, I want to say he severely undervalued the offerings on PBS. “Frontline” provides the kind of in-depth, well-informed reporting you rarely see from network or cable news. “Nature” and “Nova” have stood up to the challenge of cable by putting out beautiful, timely, and fascinating nature and science documentaries. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s series on the DNA and genealogy of African-Americans has been absolutely riveting and thought-provoking. And Jim Lehrer continues to be adorable as the host of “The NewsHour,” which is just about the most unbiased (if a bit dull) news show on TV.

Lastly, I will declare from the mountaintops my undying love for “Antiques Roadshow,” wherein not only do you get to learn about art, artifacts, history, and pop culture, but you get to see what real Americans look like. (It’s not always pretty.) “Roadshow” also offers the kind of high drama (outrageous joy! sudden wealth! crushing disappointment!) that network reality TV shows would kill for.

I may be limited because I haven’t had cable in eight years, so I only get to choose from five networks and two PBS stations. But far more often than not, I find myself rooted to PBS. (When I’m not reading Proust, of course, as I’m wont to do.) So Charles McGrath can kiss it.

Is PBS Still Necessary?
Is The New York Times Still Necessary?

Photos: Henry Louis Gates, Jr. with Chris Rock on “African American Lives 2”; Jim Lehrer; and “Antiques Roadshow”.

6 comments:

Vladkin said...

Rock on, sister.

Brian Hurley said...

Kiss it, Charles.

You might be on to something, Carolyn, when you point out that PBS is one of like 5 channels that you and I can watch on TV. (And we have TWO of them, broadcasting from New York and New Jersey.)

Instead of asking, "Is PBS Necessary," maybe we should be asking, "Why Don't We Get Rid of All Those Other Channels That Interfere with My Ability to Appreciate PBS?"

Carrie M said...

Can the "My9" channel be the first to go? Tonight they're showing "Celebrity Expose" followed by "Paradise Hotel 2." Wednesday is back-to-back "Whacked Out Videos!"

That or CW11. These channels are somehow even more worthless than the big networks.

Matt said...

You forgot Bill Moyers!

Laura said...

I love PBS. During my, uh, not so social phase, British comedies and GlobeTrekker were the relaxing highlight of my week.
How about getting rid of E, quite possibly the most frivolous channel on tv?

Shawna said...

No, No! Don't get rid of the CW! Then what would I do for two of my guilty pleasures: "America's Next Top Model" and "Gossip Girl"? All right, so they're nowhere near as intellectual as "Frontline," "The NewsHour," or "Nature," but everyone needs some uncomplicated entertainment sometimes!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness