Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cool sweatshirt, man

For anyone who cares, there's a profile in the Times today of my "veganish" idol, Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, the author of this book.


I say again, a really cool book for anyone and everyone who cares about what they eat and the world around them.

OK, end of today's vegan PSA.

5 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Is his hoodie a souvenir from his days at Vegan college? What state is that in, exactly?

Carrie M said...

Portland, Oregon, probably. :)

Actually, after this post I was surfing around various veg-friendly apparel sites, and found this sweatshirt offered by PETA. So ... that's where it comes from. Take it or leave it.

(For the record, I agree with many of PETA's ideas but not often their practices or marketing tactics.)

Klaus Varley said...

Vegan U's home campus is Portland, but I believe satellite schools are popping up in the Bay Area and back East.

Cam said...

I have started The Face on Your Plate on your recommendation (and on my ongoing resolve to read non-work, non-fiction). I'm only in the introduction but I already feel like I should eat as much cheese as possible now, before I get any further into the book and learn The Truths.

Laura said...

Ha, no vegan university in Portland, believe it or not. There is a vegan "district" though: vegan bakery, grocery, deli, and tattoo studio(??not sure what that has to do with it, but whatever). Oh yeah, and we have the nation's first vegan strip club, naturally. It has a pirate theme. (Not joking.)
I don't know, just be careful to get enough vitamin B12, take supplements or something: According to the U.K. Vegan Society, "The present consensus is that any B12 present in plant foods is likely to be unavailable to humans and so these foods should not be relied upon as safe sources, as the B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism. Also, vegans who eat only plant based foods must ordinarily take special care to supplement their diets accordingly. The only reliable vegan sources of B12 are foods fortified with B12 (including some soy products and some breakfast cereals), and B12 supplements."

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, by the way, even though I live in Portland.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness