Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lunch Hour Enlightenment*

Hi, all!

I feel like I've not been blogging much, but maybe you didn't notice. One, I am busy at work, and two, I'm preoccupied by other things not related to making snarky comments on current media 'news.' Until I get some more time or can gather my thoughts, check out the insanely awesome book I'm reading!

The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food, by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson



I know my blog readers are like 97.9% meat eaters, but all the more reason for you to read this book. First, though, you should all run out to your local independent bookstore and buy The Omnivore's Dilemma, which shows that even if you're not ready to become vegetarian or vegan, you can still understand where your food comes from and make good choices about the welfare of the world.

Cheers.


* KV will recall that this is the same name as a piece I wrote for The Literary Brothel back in, like, 2001. Oh how times change! Or do they?

7 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Did your 2001 piece use a hyphen in "Lunch-Hour," too?

Brian Hurley said...

Do animals have "faces?" Or do they have a juicy slab of meat where their heads should be?

Brian Hurley said...

But seriously: I am currently eating a banana!

Carrie M said...

1) I don't remember. Ask KV. I agonized over it just now. I'm generally hyphen-happy. I'm taking it out b/c you just said that.
2) I feel like you're not taking this seriously, for some reason.
3) Good job.

Klaus Varley said...

The hyphenated debate is solved:

http://www.theliterarybrothel.com/2008/04/lunch-hour-enlightenment.html

Klaus Varley said...

p.s. Faces? Are you referring to the good cuts of meat that most of us can't afford?

Just kidding.

Carrie M said...

I was apparently a more chill hyphenator when I was 23.

But if you read the TLB piece, you'll notice I had hippie tendencies even back then! See? This is not such a shockingly new development.

And yes, Klaus, someday you'll be rich and able to afford that oh-so-delectable cut of face. Ewww.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness