Thursday, April 23, 2009

Diverging paths

I keep thinking about this column, Being and Mindfulness, which ran in the NY Times last month, in relation to the slight change in tenor of this blog that some of you might have noticed in recent months. Thought I'd share it.

5 comments:

PassingPerception said...

I read the whole article. That is saying a lot because I usually can't stomach articles from that source. That one was interesting.

"For the truth is, however admirable mindfulness may be, however much peace, grounding, stability and self-acceptance it can bring, as an experience to be shared, it’s stultifyingly boring.

I’ve also come to wonder if something desirably human is being lost in all this new and improved selfhood. That is to say: an edge. That little bit of raggedness that for some of us is really the heart of what makes us human.

Shave that piece off, soften it too mindfully, and I wonder if we don’t leave others out in the cold."

Eric M said...

She's wrong; it's not boring. Most things aren't boring when people talking or writing about them do so with passion.

I know I sound like Tony Robbins.

He goes by Anthony now, btw.

I was just trying to say your blog ain't boring. Don't worry about pushing your new passions.

Carrie M said...

Thanks, Eric. I needed that.

PassingPerception said...

I still think it is your edge that makes you and your writing enjoyable. Your sarcasm is hilarious and entertaining. If I didn't find your blog interesting I would not have read a NY Times article because of it.

I still think that bit about "connecting" and "joining" with the woman being mean to her child is a bit much.

Again from the article-

"Where was the woman I always seek out at school events to laugh with? Where was the black humor, the sense of absurdity?"

I like that. Your sense of absurdity is well developed and makes me smile to hear your thoughts on things.

Brian Hurley said...

Really, Eric?

So now he can tell people, "Awaken the giant within? Ugh, I would never do that. TONY Robbins might have done that. But you're talking ANTHONY Robbins now. I slay giants. With neuro-linguistic programming."

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness