I happen to disagree with this one, but that's okay.
My only real problems with her response are: 1) "opposite marriage" is a ridiculous thing to say, but let's chalk it up to nerves and a little dim-wittedness, and 2) she didn't answer the question. She could have avoided the minefield of voicing her own opinion and potentially pissing people off by saying she thinks it should be up to each state, or that she thinks the courts will work it out or something. She instead simply stated her own personal viewpoint, which I guess means that's what she thinks all states should follow that. But that's not what she said.
Anyway, just a weird little news item. I respect her for expressing what she believes in, even in the face of boos. For more commentary, though, see the NY Times' roundup of opinions.
6 years ago
3 comments:
I thought it was total bs that a divisive question like that was used. It is a beauty pageant, not a political debate.
There were also cheers after her answer.
She does think all states should follow that. I watched an interview with her later. She is religious and believes marriage should be between a man and a woman.
I also thought it was brave of her to be honest instead of saying what it might take to win.
I have listened to her and Perez Hilton in interviews.
Her god stuff is ridiculous and I disagree with all of that.
Perez Hilton seems to be a totally rude scumbag. He is way too impressed with himself and acts like a spoiled little boy. He is the kind of person who gives other gay guys a bad rap. He has that whole, I'm gay and act all cute so I can be a total dick and it is ok, thing going on. It is not ok. It is juvenile and very annoying.
Worst thing here is how inarticulate the contestants for Miss America are. "I think it's great we live in a country that you can choose, same sex or opposite sex..." Her syntax and vocabulary belong to a 4th grader.
Second worst thing is that her reasoning for limiting marriage to a man and a woman is, "That's how I was raised." Possibly the most irrelevant thing she could have said. When it comes to granting or denying US citizens their civil rights, the lifestyle your parents chose for you when you were a child is (or should be) almost a non-issue.
I guess she could have said, "Insects have six legs, while arachnids have eight." That would have been more irrelevant.
Her reason for limiting marriage to man and woman is religion. She said god was testing her faith by giving her the question.
Many people do not see it at all as a debate about civil rights. They consider gay marriage to be against god's will.
http://protectbiblicalmarriage-christinewjc.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment