Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We are living the dream!

From a David Brooks column in the Times today:

"Forty-five percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 would like to live in New York City. "

Youth is wasted on the young who don't live in New York City, I say.

Photo by Pinhole (mark) on Flickr.

11 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

And the other 55 percent would like to live on a boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-jV8l013g

Carrie M said...

I want to live on a boat on the Hudson.

PassingPerception said...

In four months I will be older than that age range so I probably don't count anyway.

Klaus Varley said...

I think the question asked was, "Would you live in New York City?" and people either said "yes" or "no," but the article made it sound like people were asked, "Where do you want to live?" and 45 percent said "New York City."

Tricky...

Carrie M said...

KV: They were asked where they "wanted" to live. That was the whole point of the column: where people most desired to live.

I looked up the full study, here:
http://pewsocialtrends.org/
assets/pdf/Community-Satisfaction.pdf.

It says: The wording of the question about each of the 30 metropolitan areas was as follows: “Would you want to live in this city or its
surrounding metropolitan area or not want to live there?”

Let me also point out that I think it's interesting that four cities I've considered a home to me were in the Top 10 most desirable cities to live in: Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, and San Francisco.

Los Angeles was in the bottom 10. Sorry, Klaus!

Vladkin said...

I admit, I always wanted to live in NYC. Since at least the 2nd grade when I decided I wanted to be, and I quote, "a reporter on the streets on New York." But by "reporter" I defintely meant a serious journalist. I pictured myself sitting on a curb, writing in a little notebook by a newsstand while cars whizzed by. I'm not sure what movie inspired that... but hey! Here I am! I made it! Whoo!

Carrie M said...

Kari: I actually didn't dream of living in NY after I let go of my dancer-singer-actress aspirations at age 10. I got here by chance through trading up for bigger and bigger cities. Next stop: Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Andy said...

Carrie, Klaus is right of course. The wording is misleading, or at least the david brooks column is if not the survey. Like KV pointed out, people were asked whether they would like to live in New York City, yes or no. Not, if you could live anywhere where would it be?

Otherwise, you'd have 61% wanting to live in San Diego, 52% in Orlando, 50% in Seattle, 48% in San Francisco, and so on, which adds up to a whopping 2000% of the population.

Now where is that little box for Missoula, Montana?

Carrie M said...

Klaus is always right. So goes the luck of people using pseudonyms.

PassingPerception said...

The survey also doesn't include other countries. Many people when asked where they would most like to live would say somewhere else like Europe or somewhere tropical closer to the equator. It is also skewed because it only offers people the largest cities. Many people do not want to live in a big city at all.

Brian Hurley said...

Skew you, survey!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness